Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22LR Trainer Inquiry

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    CZ-455, so much higher quality than Savage, .
    Considering the $$ difference i would expect so. I think the Savage would cover my needs personally, can't speak for the OP.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I think the Savage would cover my needs personally
    Savage is pure garbage in comparison to a 77/22... and from what I've seen, CZ's are better than 77/22's with the exception of that damn reverse safety.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Got the CZ yesterday. First impressions are fairly standard for a CZ .22 bolt gun. Fit and finish is fine, bolt isn't too sloppy, locks up tight, safety is very stiff. I know people dislike the direction of the safety but I never use the safety on any of my bolt guns so it's a moot point for me. Just an initial impression, but to me it's clearly higher quality than my Savage 17HMR in terms of fit, finish, and dry-firing function. Trigger pull is fine although I will probably throw a Timney in it, or at least one of those yodave spring kits.

It has a traditional rimfire scope rail on the receiver. I may see if a gunsmith will mill off the rimfire rail and drill and tap the receiver so I can put a rail on it.

The stock is what makes it different from a standard CZ Varmint, it's similar to a Manners T4 inletted for the CZ action. It's very similar to the T2A on my GAP gun, with the obvious differences between the two models. One aspect where it's substantially different is weight of the stock. If you order the stock separate from Manners you can specify the weight to make it comparable, however if you order the rifle as a complete SKU from your FFL be prepared for a discrepancy in weight.

This is just a very basic initial, largely cosmetic, impression. I haven't thrown a scope on it yet and put any rounds through it. When that happens I'll come back and add a performance portion to this post.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    Johnny C,

The cycling of the bolt on your CZ will smooth out, but not get sloppy after shooting it for a while. The accuracy will be good, but it will get even better after you fire 500 rounds through it. The trigger is adjustable on mine, so you might want to check the adjustment on yours before you spend any money on a trigger. Wolf Match Target is the go to ammunition for accuracy in my CZ. CCI Blazer 40g RN SV shoots sub 1" groups at 50 meters and is good enough to practice offhand.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-05-12 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Got the CZ yesterday. First impressions are fairly standard for a CZ .22 bolt gun. Fit and finish is fine, bolt isn't too sloppy, locks up tight, safety is very stiff. I know people dislike the direction of the safety but I never use the safety on any of my bolt guns so it's a moot point for me. Just an initial impression, but to me it's clearly higher quality than my Savage 17HMR in terms of fit, finish, and dry-firing function. Trigger pull is fine although I will probably throw a Timney in it, or at least one of those yodave spring kits.

It has a traditional rimfire scope rail on the receiver. I may see if a gunsmith will mill off the rimfire rail and drill and tap the receiver so I can put a rail on it.

The stock is what makes it different from a standard CZ Varmint, it's similar to a Manners T4 inletted for the CZ action. It's very similar to the T2A on my GAP gun, with the obvious differences between the two models. One aspect where it's substantially different is weight of the stock. If you order the stock separate from Manners you can specify the weight to make it comparable, however if you order the rifle as a complete SKU from your FFL be prepared for a discrepancy in weight.

This is just a very basic initial, largely cosmetic, impression. I haven't thrown a scope on it yet and put any rounds through it. When that happens I'll come back and add a performance portion to this post.
    You will love yout CZ, I love mine.

.22 LR group at 50 meters:

.17 HMR group after I installed my barrel today:

I know it could do much better if it wasn't me pulling the trigger.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Considering the $$ difference i would expect so. I think the Savage would cover my needs personally, can't speak for the OP.
    Not sure where you are shopping but I bought my 455 Lux for $375. I then had it cut to 16", threaded for my can, and had the front sight drilled and taped at the end of barrel again.

All for less than an Aimpoint costs, so don't toss around the cost differ for in 22 rifles as a factor. Buy once, cry once doesn't even apply. It's more like Buy once, shrug once

Plus the 455 can be found with 17 and 22mag combo barrels.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Not sure where you are shopping but I bought my 455 Lux for $375. I then had it cut to 16", threaded for my can, and had the front sight drilled and taped at the end of barrel again.

All for less than an Aimpoint costs, so don't toss around the cost differ for in 22 rifles as a factor. Buy once, cry once doesn't even apply. It's more like Buy once, shrug once

Plus the 455 can be found with 17 and 22mag combo barrels.
    I have not looked in any depth, but looking around online I saw the 455 for mid 400$. I can get the Savage, threaded barrel, ready for optics, etc for under $300 all day. $375 seems a good deal for the 455, sounds like you added at least a few hundred to that with additional work done no?

I agree, get the good stuff for your needs. Mine, low cost basic plinker and small game gun . I think the Savage would fill that need/want well enough, but I'll take a look at some others at some point.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

AWC Systems Ultra 22

I know a lot of folks don't like integral suppressors, and these are not cheap, but we are running three of these at work (2 .22 LR and 1 .22 WMR) and are very happy with them. They are very quiet, and while we have not put them on a bench, they seem quite accurate as well.

We are running Rugers, but they are available as CZ rifles as well.

http://www.awcsystech.com/ultraiib.html
    Last edited by Inuvik; 12-05-12 at 11:20.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuvik View Post
    I know a lot of folks don't like intregal suppressors, and these are not cheap, but we are running three of these at work (2 .22 LR and 1 .22 WMR) and are very happy with them. They are very quiet, and while we have not put them on a bench, they seem quite accurate as well.

We are running Rugers, but they are available as CZ rifles as well.

http://www.awcsystech.com/ultraiib.html
    $1495, you aint kidding!
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have not looked in any depth, but looking around online I saw the 455 for mid 400$. I can get the Savage, threaded barrel, ready for optics, etc for under $300 all day. $375 seems a good deal for the 455, sounds like you added at least a few hundred to that with additional work done no?
    A few hundred!?!?! No. I put $100 into having my machinist chop and thread the barrel to the Silencerco 22 spec (with O-Ring), then mill and tap the end of that for the front sight... A few hundred No, I like the CZ and it's really high quality gun (especially for it's price) but I would never put a few hundred into a 22lr gun a I pain a few hundred for.

I see this CZ in particular as a gun I'll give to my kids and grand kids someday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast