Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instructors and different zeros

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Instructors and different zeros

Most of my rifles have a 50 yard zero. I was doing a little window shopping for some courses next year and noticed that some use 50 and some 100.
    For the sake of discussion, when you show up to a class with a confirmed 50 yd zero and they teach the 100, do they want you to change over? Or do they not care if you know your hold over and know where your rounds are impacting?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Ask them.
    Some care about the zero distance, some don't as long as you know your holds and drops.

I give my students the option, but I heavily favor a specific zeroing scheme and things like close range hold and long range drop revolves around that trajectory. I can give a long list of reasons why it makes it easier to have everyone on the same zero, but a savvy experienced user with a preference should not have an issue.

That being said, if an instructor has a preference, it is probably for a reason. You might want to find out that reason and see how it meets your needs and base your decision of that.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I am fortunate enough to have VSM in my backyard and I have asked him said, "They teach 100m zero for their courses, if you prefer another zero ie (50m) that is fine as long as you know your holds, but they do like to have people on the same page to help ease the instruction."
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the input guys.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    You got good advice so there is nothing to add.

Vickers is a fan of 100yd zero's and I have no problem using that. I also run a 50yd zero and he could care less (as long as I hit what I am aiming at).

C4

Feedback Score
    T Haley explains the different zeros, with close range and long range results. Awesome vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iCNIRuQuBg

With my shooting I have always preferred a 50M (actually 50yards because that is where our back stop is)
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That is a good explanation of the different zeros compared to most of the videos I have watched. Only issue with it is that he seems to have flubbed the 100yd zero results. If he had a true 100yd zero nothing should be impacting above the line of sight within those ranges if he is using the same POA. The 25yd & 50yd impact should be approx 1.5-.50" low with a 100yd zero. Other than that I really like how he presented it in the Panteao video.
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    I prefer a 100 meter zero, because I think it's easier to measure distance using metric measurements, and all my sights (including the ACOGs I used to own) have always been in meters.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Kyle Defoor explained that a 100m Zero makes 100m Headshots easier where a 200m zero makes you high at a 100m.

A 100m Zero also is only a couple inches low at 200m.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One critical variable to remember when you consider your zero: At what range can you shoot with sufficient consistently to reliably and repeatedly assess and refine POI?

50m/yd is the limit for more folks than want to admit it.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast