Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instructors and different zeros

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Instructors and different zeros

Most of my rifles have a 50 yard zero. I was doing a little window shopping for some courses next year and noticed that some use 50 and some 100.
    For the sake of discussion, when you show up to a class with a confirmed 50 yd zero and they teach the 100, do they want you to change over? Or do they not care if you know your hold over and know where your rounds are impacting?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Ask them.
    Some care about the zero distance, some don't as long as you know your holds and drops.

I give my students the option, but I heavily favor a specific zeroing scheme and things like close range hold and long range drop revolves around that trajectory. I can give a long list of reasons why it makes it easier to have everyone on the same zero, but a savvy experienced user with a preference should not have an issue.

That being said, if an instructor has a preference, it is probably for a reason. You might want to find out that reason and see how it meets your needs and base your decision of that.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I am fortunate enough to have VSM in my backyard and I have asked him said, "They teach 100m zero for their courses, if you prefer another zero ie (50m) that is fine as long as you know your holds, but they do like to have people on the same page to help ease the instruction."
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the input guys.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    You got good advice so there is nothing to add.

Vickers is a fan of 100yd zero's and I have no problem using that. I also run a 50yd zero and he could care less (as long as I hit what I am aiming at).

C4

Feedback Score
    T Haley explains the different zeros, with close range and long range results. Awesome vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iCNIRuQuBg

With my shooting I have always preferred a 50M (actually 50yards because that is where our back stop is)
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Hey guys, this isn't a "what zero" thread. Plenty of other threads for that. Please respond with thoughts relevant to the original question to keep it on track.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    So until I turn 21 and can run my own pistol in carbine classes, when I go to basic carbine (only) classes- they all go over PROPER zeroing procedure, which I want to learn- I will have to be changing my zero at each one?

I would not mind, and would by all means accept professional instruction. So far I have been just teaching myself things, just practicing the fundamentals I watch in videos.

Do basic carbine courses use "mostly" 50-100 yard zeros? I will practicing a lot more with my 50 yard zero.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 12-02-12 at 10:21.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    So until I turn 21 and can run my own pistol in carbine classes, when I go to basic carbine (only) classes- they all go over PROPER zeroing procedure, which I want to learn- I will have to be changing my zero at each one?
    As noted above, it depends. Each instructor will be different.
    -Each has their own preferred zero, like each of us have.
    -Each has their rationale for preferring students to run a certain zero in class.
    -Each has a preference on whether or not they want students to re-zero

Then, on your end, you may or may not have to re-zero to your practice ammo for the class.

Good instructors may talk about zero theory, and explain their preferences for one over the other. They may or may not have time put aside in class for zeroing (depends on class, time, range, etc). But, if you show up with your own zero, and want to run it, most instructors shouldn't have a problem, so long as you know why you run that zero, know your holds, and are making hits within the accuracy standards of the class.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    When I attended courses over the years, I took whatever recommendations the chief instructor made and worked within those parameters. If an instructor touted the 100M zero as the best, I would zero my rifle for 100M and work really hard during the course of instruction to maximize my performance with the 100M zero.

I finally settled on a 200 yard zero, but I spend a lot of time on the range and know where the rifle hits from 1 yard to 300 yards. Most folks don't.

Try to shoot at different distances with whatever zero you choose and note the change in point of impact before enrolling in a tactical carbine course. If 50M is the farthest distance at which you can repeatedly shoot good groups, I would recommend a 50M zero.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-02-12 at 17:06.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast