Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instructors and different zeros

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Hey guys, this isn't a "what zero" thread. Plenty of other threads for that. Please respond with thoughts relevant to the original question to keep it on track.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    So until I turn 21 and can run my own pistol in carbine classes, when I go to basic carbine (only) classes- they all go over PROPER zeroing procedure, which I want to learn- I will have to be changing my zero at each one?

I would not mind, and would by all means accept professional instruction. So far I have been just teaching myself things, just practicing the fundamentals I watch in videos.

Do basic carbine courses use "mostly" 50-100 yard zeros? I will practicing a lot more with my 50 yard zero.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 12-02-12 at 10:21.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    So until I turn 21 and can run my own pistol in carbine classes, when I go to basic carbine (only) classes- they all go over PROPER zeroing procedure, which I want to learn- I will have to be changing my zero at each one?
    As noted above, it depends. Each instructor will be different.
    -Each has their own preferred zero, like each of us have.
    -Each has their rationale for preferring students to run a certain zero in class.
    -Each has a preference on whether or not they want students to re-zero

Then, on your end, you may or may not have to re-zero to your practice ammo for the class.

Good instructors may talk about zero theory, and explain their preferences for one over the other. They may or may not have time put aside in class for zeroing (depends on class, time, range, etc). But, if you show up with your own zero, and want to run it, most instructors shouldn't have a problem, so long as you know why you run that zero, know your holds, and are making hits within the accuracy standards of the class.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    When I attended courses over the years, I took whatever recommendations the chief instructor made and worked within those parameters. If an instructor touted the 100M zero as the best, I would zero my rifle for 100M and work really hard during the course of instruction to maximize my performance with the 100M zero.

I finally settled on a 200 yard zero, but I spend a lot of time on the range and know where the rifle hits from 1 yard to 300 yards. Most folks don't.

Try to shoot at different distances with whatever zero you choose and note the change in point of impact before enrolling in a tactical carbine course. If 50M is the farthest distance at which you can repeatedly shoot good groups, I would recommend a 50M zero.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-02-12 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    As noted above, it depends. Each instructor will be different.
    -Each has their own preferred zero, like each of us have.
    -Each has their rationale for preferring students to run a certain zero in class.
    -Each has a preference on whether or not they want students to re-zero

Then, on your end, you may or may not have to re-zero to your practice ammo for the class.

Good instructors may talk about zero theory, and explain their preferences for one over the other. They may or may not have time put aside in class for zeroing (depends on class, time, range, etc). But, if you show up with your own zero, and want to run it, most instructors shouldn't have a problem, so long as you know why you run that zero, know your holds, and are making hits within the accuracy standards of the class.
    Thanks. Until I can start taking basic courses regularly, I will practice with my 50 yard zero. And try to sharpen my fundamentals, but I know I will have a lot of bad habits that instructors will have to break.

But for now, I think finding a zero that works for me, and practicing until I otherwise find a better reason to change, then the 50 yard is good. I know I may not be able to get great groups out to 300 yards, even 200 yards, I found 150 so far has been my limit to hit exactly what I shoot at, with reasonable groups.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    One critical variable to remember when you consider your zero: At what range can you shoot with sufficient consistently to reliably and repeatedly assess and refine POI?

50m/yd is the limit for more folks than want to admit it.

Right on the money! I have people attempt to shoot the IPDA "A" zone (which is much bigger than the head) @ 25yds in the 1-5 drill and most cannot do it consistently.

So if you are setting your gun up for 100M head shots, you might want to see if you can actually do it (while standing and on demand).

For me, I can get a much tighter zero (with a non-magnified optic) @ 50yds than I can at 100. This has a direct impact on how accurately I can hit targets at distance.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If someone dosent have fundamentals, they can't really zero anyway.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    If someone dosent have fundamentals, they can't really zero anyway.

sent from mah gun,using my sights
    This is sad, but true. I run into it all the time.

"Your rounds aren't on paper, at what distance did you zero?" Umh 10yds I think. Why did you do that? Because that is the longest shot in my house."

C4

Feedback Score
    A good yardstick to measure against is you as a shooter should be able to shoot within 50% of the inherent accuracy potential of the carbine- most M4 style rifles are about 2 MOA guns so you should be able to go prone at 100 yds/meters and shoot approx a 4 inch group for 5 shots- this is regardless of sighting system; obviously smaller group size is better

This also corresponds to roughly the 10 ring on a 25 yd B8 replacement bullseye - I have found that is a very good yardstick

If you can do that often enough that you are comfortable it's not a fluke then your skill set is good enough to not only zero your weapon but confirm the zero of yours or another one you shoot

Be safe

LAV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12