Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero Drop / Achillies

On the spreading edge of the butter knife
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Zero Drop / Achillies

There are lots of threads in this forum talking about "zero drop" shoes (Minimus, VFF, etc.). I'm looking for some educated advice or thoughts on the effects of various "drop" on injuries, and if anyone has any *experience* with a moderate drop (4mm - 6mm).

I've done a ton of reading already, and bookmarked several articles. This was one of the top hits and pretty informative:

http://running.competitor.com/2012/0...eet-spot_55444

I've been running through high school. I have a thin frame and my years in the Marine Corps did a number on my joints. I continued to run Marathons(and halfs) long after I got out, with my last one being the Marine Corps Marathon in '05. That was the end of my "normal running". I was left with really bad knees and hips from too much road running with really bad form (learned over years).

I was introduced to the barefoot craze and went "all in". Started running barefoot on a treadmill (5 mins at a time), let my calves heal, and up the mileage. I got into a set of KSO's (which I look back on as an uneducated and bad choice) and within 3 months or so I was doing 5 to 7 mile runs in my VFFs on trail/road mix. That lasted for awhile and then my achillies gave out. Now I either run in regular shoes and my body goes back to heel striking (even if I concentrate on midfoot) or I run minimalist and can do no more than a mile. Thing is...I really love barefoot running - zero knee and hip pain.

So revisiting my style and choice of shoes. I've been off running for almost a year, and I want to go to a minimalist shoe, but with a "drop" more conducive to taking some strain off the natural shock absorber (my achillies). I'm looking at a 4mm to 6mm drop. Tried on a pair of Minimus Trail (4mm drop) and a short jaunt around the store seemed to be okay.

Given the price of shoes, I'm looking for experienced advice on whether or not I'm on the right track here... Other suggestions or experiences?
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I ran my first 20 miles in a pair of brooks pure flow. They are 4mm drop with a fair amount of cushioning. I've just switched to altar instincts. Zero drop and they come with two insoles. That way you get three setups (no insoles or one of the insoles). So far I love the wide open toe box in the altras.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I utilize alot of minimalist shoes- I always recommend dropping a MM at a time to allow slow adjustment. Get some converse chuck taylors to stroll around in on a day to day basis to adjust quicker.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I run in a pair of transitional shoes from ASICS. They're the Gel Neo33. It's my understanding that they're 4mm lower in the heel than a standard shoe, but not a minimalist shoe. I tend to heel strike and went to these shoes in an effort to retrain myself bio-mechanically and become a more efficient runner.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    1. Get off the roads and run on trails, grass (golf course, soccer fields, etc)
    2. Use neutral, light weight shoes. Brooks Pure series are GTG
    3. Start easy, short and slow. You have been there before, so be patient and build your base.

I have struggled through injuries in the past. Once you have been to the top, it's hard to hold back after injury. Patience is the key. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I switched to barefoot-style running a couple of years ago and have been wearing the minimus after wearing the MT100s and MT101s for a while.

My advice is to start slow and work up. Warming up prior to running is critical. I always do a 10-15 min warm up before running depending on the length of run. My warm up consists of walking then transitioning to a slow jog.

In the beginning, I would actually run barefoot to work on technique. I've found that with the minimus, it isn't necessary as they feel pretty much the same as barefoot. The Mt100 and 101s had a 4mm lift so it wasn't quite the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

minimalist shoes.

In the army we do a fair amount of running on a regular basis. I started to develop some pain in my knees from the constant running and rucking and found that the minimalist shoes have helped a lot to strengthen certain areas in my leg and alleviate the pain. They take a little while to get used to and will smoke your calves when you start out, but once you get used to running in them they almost force you to run on the ball of your feet instead of slamming your heel on the ground which can cause a lot of problems. I started out with the new balances but after a while noticed the stitching in the front of the toe area caused one of my toes a lot of irritability. I have recently been using the merrell road gloves and have not had a problem with them whatsoever. Just my two cents.

Feedback Score
    I've been running in the Altra Instinct 1.5s, too, and they're great, but I have issues with pronation so I'll be snagging a pair of ther Provisions as soon as I can find some size 14s, which are OOS everywhere. They have a new one coming out called the Torin, IIRC, that has a lot more padding underfoot than the others but is still zero drop. You might wanna look at those.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Brooks Cascadias have a cult like-following among the trail running community. Not a minimalist shoe but they are definitely worth a look for your requirements.

Feedback Score
    I love my NB, I have ran everything from an APFT to a 6 mile run in them. Now running at the beginning takes time, like everyone has said have PATIENCE, which is impossible for most people when it comes to running, for Christ sake it's running not walking.

Just take your time, let your body adjust to the new way of running, and run SLOW. You need to relearn your form when running in minimalistic shoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast