Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Clear Ballistics Gel and Perma-Gel

Feedback Score
    In a nutshell: It depends, but usually more.

Due to the different resisting forces involved in clear gel as compared to ordnance gel at different velocities, not only does clear gel produce results that are different from 10% organic gelatin, but you also can't create a conversion formula that would allow you to translate figures from one into the other. In fact, you can't necessarily even compare 2 bullets to each other in clear gel, in the sense that a bullet that penetrates more in clear gel may not necessarily penetrate more in tissue.

In practice, this usually manifests itself as a seemingly variable increase in the penetration of rifle rounds, along with a decrease in not only the degree but also the likelihood of fragmentation/expansion. Safe to say that clear gel should be largely disregarded as a good testing medium for such projectiles, at least for gathering the information you'd usually want to see out of such a test. (Arguably, clear gel is useful as a worst case "check" on expansion/fragmentation reliability, much as with the 4-layer denim test in handguns, but this is highly subject to debate.)

With handguns...again, from a physics standpoint, we can't easily predict how bullets will perform in relation to clear gel. In practice, the numbers usually seem to be pretty similar, at least with the service calibers. I've observed that handgun rounds tend to penetrate about 5% more and expand about 5% less in clear gel as opposed to organic gel, with the caveat that this ratio is by no means guaranteed technically and is just an approximation based on numbers collected on the internet.

For the hobbyist who just wants to get a basic idea of how a pistol bullet performs, I think it's probably close enough in most cases. If you want more exacting numbers, especially when testing an unknown loading or producing industry data, 10% organic gel is definitely the way to go.

Feedback Score
    So, one could say that if a pistol bullet doesnt penetrate "enough" clear gel it will do even less in ordinance gelatin?

Feedback Score
    Highly likely, but I couldn't guarantee it from shot to shot. It may be possible that, in select cases, the properties of clear gel will actually cause a bullet to penetrate less.

Generally speaking, though-if a handgun round doesn't usually attain sufficient penetration in clear gel, much less ordnance gel, I'd say that's a good reason to steer clear.
    Last edited by LimeSpoon; 12-02-19 at 22:15.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234