Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can for .22 bolt gun

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Can for .22 bolt gun

This thread on .22 trainers* got me thinking of cans for threaded .22 bolt guns. What are recommended cost effective models for use with .22 lr? I'm unlearned on this topic. Can't have 'em in my state anyway, but I may move in the near future.

* = https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117723
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    With a .22 can, you are going to want the ability to take it apart and clean it. The ability to disassemble is a MUST. There is no reason to wait 6 months and pay out the ass to the NFA for a suppressor with a short service life.

Stainless steel internals are a good thing if a little extra weight doesn't bother you. This will allow for more effective cleaning methods that would otherwise harm aluminum internals. 22's are dirty and cleaning will be a must.

With those qualifications in mind, my research brought me to the SWR Spectre II. It is (to my knowledge) the quietest 22 suppressor on the market.

If a little "first round pop" doesn't bother you, the Silencerco Sparrow may be worth looking into. It has a monolithic baffle system that is easier to maintain than the baffle stack in the Spectre II.

Both can be had for around $400. $600 if you include the tax stamp.
    I hope this helps you out
    Daniel Defense M4V5 & Aimpoint P.R.O.
    Beretta 92 Vertec
    Springfield Loaded 1911
    Kahr CM9
    NAA Wasp
    Mossberg 500 Persuader
    Walther P22 suppressed with a SWR Spectre II

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by piesandcheese View Post
    With a .22 can, you are going to want the ability to take it apart and clean it. The ability to disassemble is a MUST. There is no reason to wait 6 months and pay out the ass to the NFA for a suppressor with a short service life.

Stainless steel internals are a good thing if a little extra weight doesn't bother you. This will allow for more effective cleaning methods that would otherwise harm aluminum internals. 22's are dirty and cleaning will be a must.

With those qualifications in mind, my research brought me to the SWR Spectre II. It is (to my knowledge) the quietest 22 suppressor on the market.

If a little "first round pop" doesn't bother you, the Silencerco Sparrow may be worth looking into. It has a monolithic baffle system that is easier to maintain than the baffle stack in the Spectre II.

Both can be had for around $400. $600 if you include the tax stamp.
    I hope this helps you out
    Helpful, thanx,.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'll second the stainless Sparrow. The first round pop (FRP) can be mitigated with a couple of hits with a nasal inhaler filled with water (it's not that bad IMO though). It's by far the easiest to disassemble and clean, and its dippable.

With a .22 can, you really get what you pay for and the ability to clean it is critical. Compardd to the $200 stamp, sales tax, Trust setup and all, the actual cost of the suppressor shouldn''t stop you from buying the best one you can get. That would be the SS Sparrow, Spectre II or AAC Element. I prefer the monocore baffle of the Sparrow over the K baffles inthe Element and CTA baffles in the Spectre.

Feedback Score
    Threads like this always make me curious just how many cans the people giving advice own.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Threads like this always make me curious just how many cans the people giving advice own.
    That wasn't a helpful post. Do you have some quality advice for the original poster? If you do not, please refrain from posting in this thread.

I did weeks of research when searching for my "perfect" .22 silencer. Is it wrong for me to offer that knowledge to the O.P. just because the NFA is still messing around with the paperwork? I don't think so.
    Daniel Defense M4V5 & Aimpoint P.R.O.
    Beretta 92 Vertec
    Springfield Loaded 1911
    Kahr CM9
    NAA Wasp
    Mossberg 500 Persuader
    Walther P22 suppressed with a SWR Spectre II

Feedback Score
    I agree that the ability to clean has to be there in a .22lr silencer. I have a gen Specter and although heavier than the SS Sparows, I don't notice the weight on a rifle and my handgun host (S&W 422 with Al frame) is so light that I don't notice it there either (YMMV if you are running it on a heavy handgun). I don't do the dip so I appreciate the abilty to clean the individual baffles up without a ton of smaller nooks and opening that come with a mono-core.
    If weight is the primary concern then look at user servicable ones with AL core/baffles if longetivity (and using the dip interestes you) look to those with SS internals.

This is 200 rounds of CCI standard velocity through a 10/22 and a handgun. It is a fairly clean round. You can see the lead/carbon/unburnt powder/wax build up starting on the baffle stack. Imagine many, many bricks of .22lr what a sealed can would look like.
    Last edited by LonghunterCO; 12-06-12 at 13:50. Reason: add picture

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    I happen to own five, with two of them being rimfire cans. One is an AAC Pilot, which is a sealed aluminum can with K baffles that I've had "jailbroken" after several thousands of rounds so I could clean it. Prior to the jailbreak, there was a noticeable increase in weight due to lead fouling and a corresponding decrease in effectiveness. The company that did the jailbreak sent me photos of the internals prior to cleaning and it was ugly to say the least.

The other is the aforementioned SS Sparrow. Everything I learned with the Pilot, plus a metric shitload of research, to include test firing many different .22 cans, led me to the Sparrow. I offered the other recommendations based on that research and test firing and exactly why I preferred the Sparrow over the others. The Pilot has been relegated to a Beretta 21A platform due to it's light weight. The Sparrow does duty on a Buckmark, Savage Mark II FV-SR, a 10/22 and a full auto RR M16 dedicated .22 upper.

A friend of mine is a Title II manufacturer and that coupled with a robust NFA community in my AOR made for a sizable database from which to make those recommendations.

Just some facts for you and the OP to consider.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Will, I just shot one of these a couple hours ago. Went to a clients house and I don't know how but we got to talking about guns. Next thing I know he rolls out the door with a suppressed Ruger .22 pistol.

Very quiet. He fired the first shot and my ears are pretty sensitive and it was no problem at all. I then shot most of the rest and they were even quieter. Some sounded more like a puff with some mechanical noise.. I forgot to ask if it was SS ammo. He said it's much quieter on his Savage bolt rifle. It must be damn near silent on that.

So if you move to VA they are in central VA. His Ruger had the sight moved back and of course the threaded barrel. The whole setup was very nice. I don't know if it had Ti insert or not, but otherwise I would say it was the aluminum one. Very nice work all done by this guy.

I've been looking for someone local to thread barrel I have on a High Standard. I'm seriously thinking about letting this guy do it all. Total accident in finding him. Had no idea a manufacturer was here.

http://tbasuppressors.com/suppressor...imfire-pistol/

Feedback Score
    Well bravo for all!

I have 9 rimfire suppressors. NONE have been cleaned since purchase. All are as quiet as they ever were. One has over 25,000rnds through it. It's a yhm mite I believe... not that it was ever that quiet in comparison to better cans.

I'll let you guys go back to knowing for certain you need to clean them.

I'll be shooting mine.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast