Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk To Me About AR-10's.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    The AR10 is not nearly as reliable as the AR15. However they have gotten a lot better in recent years. Back when your only choice was Armalite, Stoner and DPMS things sucked. I have issues with both AR10's I owned and pretty much everyone else I knew that had one also had issues. The military trials helped to debug them a lot I believe. But I now have a SCAR 17 because I don't fully trust what is out there in the AR10 world.
    Pat
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117181

Feedback Score
    I like the AR platform in .308. I am currently testing mine with a Smith muzzle brake and a AR-Restor hydraulic recoil buffer. I have less than 1,000 rounds down range with the brake and buffer, so I am not sure about long term reliability just yet. It's a bit louder now, especially indoors. The combination makes the recoil feel like a .223 carbine, which helps with follow up shots.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-06-12 at 11:31.

Feedback Score
    If you can tinker you can make anything work. They aren't as fast or smooth as a AR15 but think of them as a work truck or maybe a single cylinder John Deere tractor. Rounds must slide out of the mag easy, Pmags work. A lighter carrier helps the system, a stronger spring helps then match the gas port to them so it isn't over gassed...no carbine length gas systems. Just my opinion of course.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I personally haven't seen a single issue with a LaRue OBR, or LMT MWS.

Dealt with a KAC that was a little finicky with some different ammo, but otherwise I've seen them all run just as well as their little brothers.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for the info and opinions. I would really like to get a 7.62 precision semi-auto rifle soon and I would more than anything prefer that it work without a cost more than my cumulative college tuition. Your shared knowledge is appreciated, and I'd love to hear as much as you are willing to share.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have a fairly new PredatAR and have been shooting with Pmags, Larues, and KAC's mags with Remington 168 match and Black Hills 175's. The ironic thing is the only issues I've had so far have always been with KAC mags. The only issue is with failure to feed with the KAC's. These are not often and have not replicated themselves with Pmags or Larue mags. The rifle is great and is a consistent 1.5 MOA gun with some groups that resemble my custom Remington 700. I've got several of the KAC's as I thought they would be the best mags but so far this hasn't been the case. I'm considering selling them and just using Pmags and Larues.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    I've heard/seen nothing but good things about KAC, and LaRue offerings.

I suspect HK's offering will be great too once it reaches the U.S.
    I got to fondle one at a lgs today. For upwards of 4k$ I would stick with the scar 17. The mr762 is a tank of a rifle not that that's a bad thing just more than I would wish to lug around.

Feedback Score
    As an alternative,,,, and don't flame me just yet,,,

Sig Sauer's 7.62 16" Carbine.

A doctor friend of mine purchased one and I helped him sight in his irons then, we spent a bit more time sighting in his RDS.

Then I "borrowed" it and spent an afternoon trying to make it fail.

I couldn't.

Pissed me right off.

Feedback Score
    I had an Armalite AR-10 years ago that never had an issue. I shot Federal GMM and SA Battle Packs and used Armalite magazines and couldn't get it to malfunction. Where all the issues are comingp from I could only guess as crappy ammo and home made magazines modded from Chineese M-14 mags. Lube, good ammo and mags will prevent the vast majority of malfunctions in any auto loader... Including AR-10s.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    I only own a Larue and SCAR in semi auto 762's right now but both have been 100% reliable for me. I had a KAC EMC about 3 years ago and it was fine with some types of ammo, wouldn't cycle with others, all were high quality (i.e. fgmm, copper creek etc) but I guess that class shows they have been working on that. Suppressed I would trust my scar to go longer than any of them though, it can definitely go a lot longer without the lube all cooking off with a can attached than the OBR can, and you will be hard pressed to even find other AR-10/SR-25 pattern guns that are even comparable to the OBR imho. ymmv

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast