Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this safe?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Opinions on this safe?

http://www.deansafe.com/sentry-safe-...se-center.html

Seems like a decent proposition for my needs. First off, I know it's not a safe, but more a lockable cabinet (I emailed them to find out what gauge steel they use, couldn't find it anywhere,but it's made in China so I'm not expecting much). My biggest consideration is that I rent a home, and intend to rent for many many years, so I don't want a huge, multi-hundred pound safe. This would be enough to keep my kids out and also, in theory, deter an amateur burglar and/or smash and grab type burglaries (plus I have a nice alarm). Currently, I have my guns in locked containers, but they could be walked away.

Also, I only own my M6 and two Glocks, and I don't see any more purchases in the foreseeable future, so capacity isn't an issue (and this safe will actually fit three long guns anyway).

It's probably a little overpriced, but an intriguing proposition....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks like it would be easy to pry bolted safe from wall and carry it away also. Bulk and weight are two good reasons to own the large, heavy gun safes. I like my Browning Safe.

Quote Originally Posted by berserker View Post
    http://www.deansafe.com/sentry-safe-...se-center.html

Seems like a decent proposition for my needs. First off, I know it's not a safe, but more a lockable cabinet (I emailed them to find out what gauge steel they use, couldn't find it anywhere,but it's made in China so I'm not expecting much). My biggest consideration is that I rent a home, and intend to rent for many many years, so I don't want a huge, multi-hundred pound safe. This would be enough to keep my kids out and also, in theory, deter an amateur burglar and/or smash and grab type burglaries (plus I have a nice alarm). Currently, I have my guns in locked containers, but they could be walked away.

Also, I only own my M6 and two Glocks, and I don't see any more purchases in the foreseeable future, so capacity isn't an issue (and this safe will actually fit three long guns anyway).

It's probably a little overpriced, but an intriguing proposition....
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, like I said, big heavy safes won't work for me. I know for a fact I'll be moving at least 3 times in the next 6 years or so.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It would certainly be better than simply leaving your firearms in locked cases. Several things to keep in mind, if its in plain sight (from the windows or doors) it looks like an easy grab. Keep it in a closet. Neither the size nor the weight will act as a deterrent for a grab and go. Plan on anchoring it to the wall, floor, or both. Use big lag bolts and make sure that they are installed into the wall structure, not just the drywall. Most of this is common sense. It looks like a pretty sleek unit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A couple of guys with an appliance dolly can move my safe.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I believe you can get that same safe cheaper from both Walmart and Cabelas. Though Cabelas is currently sold out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    It would certainly be better than simply leaving your firearms in locked cases. Several things to keep in mind, if its in plain sight (from the windows or doors) it looks like an easy grab. Keep it in a closet. Neither the size nor the weight will act as a deterrent for a grab and go. Plan on anchoring it to the wall, floor, or both. Use big lag bolts and make sure that they are installed into the wall structure, not just the drywall. Most of this is common sense. It looks like a pretty sleek unit.
    Yeah roger, it would be lag bolted to studs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    I believe you can get that same safe cheaper from both Walmart and Cabelas. Though Cabelas is currently sold out.
    Yep, I found it cheaper multiple places, but that site had the best description/video of it.

Feedback Score
    Needless to say, the bigger/heavier safes are best.

However, reality kicks in and you can't always have 'the best' answer so you do the best you can. Given your limitations, this looks like a pretty slick setup. If you put it in a corner you can anchor it to two walls and the floor. Won't stop a determined thief, but will make it harder nonetheless.

You could also build some fake shelves to wrap around it for camouflage.

Doesn't say anything about being fireproof. Truly not a huge deal as long as you've got the guns covered on your insurance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpnav View Post
    Needless to say, the bigger/heavier safes are best.

However, reality kicks in and you can't always have 'the best' answer so you do the best you can. Given your limitations, this looks like a pretty slick setup. If you put it in a corner you can anchor it to two walls and the floor. Won't stop a determined thief, but will make it harder nonetheless.

You could also build some fake shelves to wrap around it for camouflage.

Doesn't say anything about being fireproof. Truly not a huge deal as long as you've got the guns covered on your insurance.
    Yeah I think I'm going to give it a shot. It's not fireproof, really not going to find anything fireproof at this price point. My google-fu seems to indicate that Sentry is a good brand, and several sites are claiming this model is made in USA (as is the rest of their line). I think for my situation it will work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast