Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another First 1911 Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    One of the most dangerous things you can do as a 1911 owner is look through the Brownell's catalog with your credit card nearby...
    That is a fact!

Feedback Score
    I think detail stripping in general, and for someone new to the platform in particular is not a good idea and is rarely needed for any reason. Good mags are a must and Wilson's get good reviews but some of mine have started to act up- they are 20 years old mind you with minimal care. For the budget minded metalforms work well and are under 20 bucks each. I prefer an American made 1911 so lean to Colts, and with a bit of patience a good colt can be Found for under 700 bucks. Springfields have a good reputation despite being foreign made, and the same can be said for rock island.

Feedback Score
    The only "nuances" you might run into are that it is much heavier than your glock and holds less ammo. But once you shoot it, you'll probably forget about those little intricacies . ole slabsides is a great gun and one I'm sure you will enjoy. oh and don't forget to lube the thing. It needs just a little more than your glock.
    Elections have consequences.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for all the advice! Going to pick it up today, Christmas is coming early! Is slip2000 not appropriate?
    "Guns attract retards like moths to a porch light."-markm

Feedback Score
    Sliip 2000 is fine. I've been using M Pro 7 with great results. Keep it well lubed and enjoy the trigger pull =)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    Be careful whenever you put the slide stop back into the gun. Avoid scratching your gun and leaving the "1911 idiot mark." You can google it if you don't know what it is.

Joe Mamma
    Sounds like I am an idiot. I wonder if my village has called..............

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I carry a glock 19 and will most likely continue carrying it. I am just asking M4C what I should do differently (besides clean and lube) with my 1911. What are some nuances of the platform that I should be warned about?

Thanks.
    That is exactly where most people, who are new to the platform, screw up. 7 Ring and Smoky are right. Leave it alone unless you know what you are doing. A properly set up 1911 can be run dirty. If it doesn't run then look at it and find out why. In the meantime, there is vast amounts of material to read and study. Also there are a handful of courses, such as Larry's, 10-8, Rodgers, Ned Christiansen's course and probably others I forgot that can teach you what to look for and how to fix it. The inernet is full of people that know and those that don't know. Get your information from a vetted source and you will be better off.

Contrary to internet myths, a 1911 can run fine dirty as sin:
    Wilson XTAC

Customized Colt:

dry as a bone and dirty (not recommended):
    Last edited by David Thomas; 12-15-12 at 18:46.
    FUNDAMENTALS: A crutch for the talentless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12