Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold bore shot

Feedback Score

Clean Cold Bore

In the long range world its most often referred to as the "clean cold bore" shot, not just the cold bore shot. In the traditional sense of military sniping that is the shot that counts. Same could be said for hunting at long ranges in some cases although you don't have to worry about it being a two way range and the game may stick around for a second shot in some cases. Some barrels might shoot better with a fouling round or two but as mentioned that would be a cold bore shot. If a barrel is match quality/broken in and the rifle is top notch it should put that first shot the same place as the second. Not sure how good the semi's are at that though.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback thus far. I'm going to keep my eye on this thread.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I know this question was intended for a different poster...

However, both of my MK12ish rifles shoot low left on cold bore shots. I'd say ~1.5" @ 100 yards. Both rifles are consistent with each other and both are setup slightly different than each (Rails, scopes and muzzle devices). Both barrels are Douglas SPR barrels.

My Ruger M77 270 Win shoots way high on cold bore shots. Something I failed to take into consideration this last deer hunt. I did get my deer but no tender loins...

Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    How many of you hit low?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I stopped getting meaningful variances in "cold bore" shots when I stopped cleaning the piss out of my barrels. After I've cleaned, I may get a difference in "CCB", small, though, and if I have to strip copper, all bets are off. Maybe I'm lucky.

I have seen, however, many, many guys hit low in the cold--not because they didn't plug it into their calculators, but because they were using a chrono velocity they got from their ammo at 70 or 80 degrees. Modern "temp stable" powders are better than what it used to be, but you can still lose enough velocity to drop you right off a target that small.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    I learned a lot by watching Magpul's Precision Gun DVD. When I was new with long range stuff (Hell...I still am new to it) I watched a lot of it and it gave me some good knowledge and a great starting point. There's a lot of little tips that were in it that I really like. Cold bore vs Clean bore was one of them. (You can actually youtube that part on the DVD)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    I have seen, however, many, many guys hit low in the cold--not because they didn't plug it into their calculators, but because they were using a chrono velocity they got from their ammo at 70 or 80 degrees. Modern "temp stable" powders are better than what it used to be, but you can still lose enough velocity to drop you right off a target that small.
    That's definitely something one needs to take into consideration. I need to get my hands on a chrono and do some cold temp testing to see how much my velocity drops.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    I learned a lot by watching Magpul's Precision Gun DVD. When I was new with long range stuff (Hell...I still am new to it) I watched a lot of it and it gave me some good knowledge and a great starting point. There's a lot of little tips that were in it that I really like. Cold bore vs Clean bore was one of them. (You can actually youtube that part on the DVD)
    I googled and came up with this video. Very informative, i learned alot....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgyvdX0-7VU
    Last edited by BigLarge; 12-13-12 at 22:07.

Feedback Score
    Worth looking here too:

http://youtu.be/ewPWplWu6ZQ

USAMU video with good example.
    Last edited by montrala; 12-14-12 at 08:12.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    I googled and came up with this video. Very informative, i learned alot....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgyvdX0-7VU
    Yup that's the one!

Feedback Score
    There is another part of the DVD that is on youtube that shows the magpul guys shooting all at a mile and Travis Haley is able to nail a target at a mile with a .308. Took him a few tries, but it was pretty cool to see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast