Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working over my Springfield TRP... Pix

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vereceleritas View Post
    Nice work. What do you use to round off the edges of the slide and frame? Just sandpaper and elbow grease?
    I usually hit it with a needle file first to do the bulk of the heavy lifting then varying degrees of sandpaper. Wet/Dry sandpaper with windex on it works awesome. You can true up the straight edges with a flat surface and a sheet of 360 grit wet/dry and get really nice blended radii.

I went with a pretty heavy break on most of it. Whatever was appropriate for the part. Some of it looks better with less, some better with more.

Here's 3 recent pix of the frame...

It's hard to tell by the pix but there's a fairly heavy break, probably .02 on the back of the grip that extends clear up to the beavertail. It feels wonderful in the hand. I also relieved the grip to clear my thumb during mag changes.

Last edited by madryan; 12-20-12 at 22:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great at home "1911-smithing"! Your work reminds me a lot of what I had done with my previous 1911, similar parts, similar metal removal.

I love seeing projects like this unfold in pictorials.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice work. My wife would hang me if she caught me doing any metal work over a sink in the house!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Great at home "1911-smithing"! Your work reminds me a lot of what I had done with my previous 1911, similar parts, similar metal removal.

I love seeing projects like this unfold in pictorials.
    Here's the finished product...

Linkey Linkey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12