Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Scout or Tikka T3

Feedback Score
    Can't comment on the Tikka, as I've never handled one, but I've owned the Ruger Gunsite Scout for almost two years. I have been a fan of the rugged M77 actions for a long time, and love my RGS.
    I agree that .308 is the way to go, and I own several 30.06's. The short action is great on the scout concept.
    I THINK mine would be a MOA rifle with the right pilot, and glass. It will do inch and a half or a little more with Leupold 2X in forward position.
    THe Tikka, I'm sure, would be just as nice, but I already know I like the Ruger.

Skip

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    I'm looking for a General Purpose Rifle,I'm considering a Ruger Scout Rifle and a Tikka T3 stainless synthetic both in .308,I'd like to know your opinions please on how they compare?I would have to have the barrel cut on the Tikka,16"-18",any opinions on that also please?I'd also like to use a conventional scope set-up any suggestions on optics?Thanks for any help.
    For the purpose you seem to be after, Tikka's Scout model is a little more apples to apples with the Ruger. And already has a 20" barrel and I personally wouldn't cut it. I've not shot the Tikka myself but my Dad wishes he'd bought it over his Ruger Scout.

Either way, try sourcing mags to see if that impacts your decision. I understand the Ruger mags are spendy and the Tikka mags can be hard to find.

Feedback Score
    The 16" barrel IMO is too short!!!

Feedback Score
    Agree with not going shorter than 20 inches

Feedback Score
    I've owned both...just recently sold my Ruger GSR because of having too many rifles.

GRS is great because it comes with irons, so you can shoot it with just irons until you figure out which optics you want. I also like that it's threaded and ready for a suppressor. Another plus for the GSR is that it uses AI/AI clone mags which are the industry standard for bolt action with mag system. I have another rifle that uses AI mags, so I shared mags with two rifles.

I find the GSR to be a nice light,compact rifle good for hunting in my state of PA.

The huge pro for Tikka is the action...talk about smooth...Tikka has the best factory action in the industry. The Ruger action feels like crap compared to Tikka.

Tikka mags feel cheap, but are tough...rather pricey at $65 for a 3/4rd mag.

Either rifle will do a good job...If I was picking one of those two rifles, I'd get the GRS because it offers more benefits for my needs compared to Tikka.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie3409 View Post
    I've owned both...just recently sold my Ruger GSR because of having too many rifles.

GRS is great because it comes with irons, so you can shoot it with just irons until you figure out which optics you want. I also like that it's threaded and ready for a suppressor. Another plus for the GSR is that it uses AI/AI clone mags which are the industry standard for bolt action with mag system. I have another rifle that uses AI mags, so I shared mags with two rifles.

I find the GSR to be a nice light,compact rifle good for hunting in my state of PA.

The huge pro for Tikka is the action...talk about smooth...Tikka has the best factory action in the industry. The Ruger action feels like crap compared to Tikka.

Tikka mags feel cheap, but are tough...rather pricey at $65 for a 3/4rd mag.

Either rifle will do a good job...If I was picking one of those two rifles, I'd get the GRS because it offers more benefits for my needs compared to Tikka.
    I agree on all points, especially the gritty Ruger action.

Dano5326 Guest
    Tikka / Sako are excellent bolt guns and I'd wager on them shooting tighter any offering near there price range

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Tikka makes a great rifle, that said, I've been very happy with the Ruger. I went with the traditional set up (2.5 extended eye relief scope) and added an Eagle cheek piece. The weapon does not like 147/150 grain rounds. But its grouped about 2 MOA or better with Fed 168 or Black Hills 175. The action is not as smooth, but was meant to be rugged. It's a Mauser type action. I can live with that. The trigger on mine was nice. Not what my M24 can do, but again, it's a scout rifle, not a sniper rifle. I am engaging succesfully out to 400 and 500 yards once you learn the holds. As for the blast, I threw a vortex on the front and it's not as bad. Do you loose some speed because its a 16 inch gun? yep. But in my mind, I like the handiness of it. Most every weapon is built around a need or concept. I think it hit the mark pretty well. Making it longer starts turning it into something else. Am I biased because I bought it. Probably. But if something isn't for me, I get rid of it. It's exceeded my expectations so it stays.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is the last and best group I got the other day when I was getting the Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm scout scope on my GSR. Granted I didn't have the best shooting conditions while it was rather windy and I was shooting off a unsteady rest. I was using Winchester 7.62x51mm 147gr FMJ. Give me a day with no wind, a solid shoot rest and Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr I am sure I could get sub-moa groups at 100 yards.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalibrando View Post
    The weapon does not like 147/150 grain rounds. But its grouped about 2 MOA or better with Fed 168 or Black Hills 175.
    Tom- When you say it doesn't like the 147/150s, what are you seeing? Surplus stuff, or premium ammo in that weight class?

Have you tried the lighter loads, 110 SMKs in any loading, Hornady TAP, etc?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast