Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Scout or Tikka T3

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I shot Federal American Eagle 150 grain ball (red box) and delinked military ball ammo (the same stuff we use in our 240s). They ball did OK, but never as well as the match I had on hand. The ball ammo produced about a 3 minute group most of the time. I had one great group (about a minute) but could not replicate it. The Ruger I have just likes the heavier weights.The match has been consistent as it should be for what goes into it. To be honest, I shoot different loads, measure the results and move on. As soon as I find the right load (thats available to me), I just stay with it. If I had the time to get back into reloading, I'd try everything to get the right formula. For now, I shoot whats on hand and isssued to see what works. I have no dought that something else out there would shoot tighter. I just don't have the time to find it, only establish the trend with the resources that I have.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I tested a bunch of 308 factory ammo when I got my latest 308. With the right handloads, this rifle is a consistent sub-MOA performer. I found that most 147/150-grain FMJ will shoot into ~3 MOA, and the best will shoot ~1.5 MOA. Hunting ammo is more accurate as a rule, with Barnes TSX being the most likely to shoot well, followed closely by Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks Tom.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I have lived my entire life hunting and living in the rural Rocky Mountain West. In doing so, I have gone through a lot of rifles, experimenting with various calibers and such.

When it came time to build what I considered my ideal "all around" rilfe, I ended up with a Tikka T3 Lite stainless synthetic .308.

Cut to 20"s, topped with a 2.5-20x24 Nightforce in Talley lightweight rings. Sling is a VTAC.

I load 165 grain Sierra Hollowpoint Gamekings. Killed my elk last year with a single round. Bang, flop.

This is what the rifle does at 100 yards.

Slinging up and nailing my MGM 1/2 size IPSC plates from the prone at 600 is not too tough.

It is very light, smooth shooting and very much a joy to carry compared to many others I have lugged up and down some of the steep assed mountains in the Rockies. The 5 round mags for the varmint models slide right into shirt pockets and have proven to be "Glock magazine" reliable.

I would not trade 3 new Ruger scout rifles for my 20" T3 as it is set up.

I am not bad mouthing the Ruger, I just have used the T3 enough in the field to know what an awesome setup it is.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^ That there is just flat out nice from soup to nuts. Great looking rifle, terrific shooting, hell, even the pictures are good.

Well done.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Dave,

The more I use it, the more I forget I own other stuff. Heck I even shoot our big desert Jacks in the dead of winter with it.

Here is a pic from a couple of years ago. My dad and I got out of the house and did some bunny hunting during the Christmas visit.

The next day I switched to handguns. Using the rifle on Jacks is a great way to keep in practice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    When it came time to build what I considered my ideal "all around" rilfe, I ended up with a Tikka T3 Lite stainless synthetic .308.
    That's a great set up. Quality components, practical configuration, excellent accuracy. Good shooting, too.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Tikka Tikka Tikka quality Ruger no so much

I owned a Ruger Scout Rifle. If you set it on the curb outside your house and left a dollar bill on it. Whoever picked it up would have a dollar. Go with the Tikka any day of the week. IMHO
    2 Chronicles 7:14

The Citadel, Charleston South Carolina 1842 - 1995 RIP

Feedback Score
    Thank you SkinTop.

I put more than a few years of experience and reflection of season's past into the setup.

bvmbandit,

That is a pretty funny comment.

I have owned a couple Ruger centerfire bolt actions in my younger years. Now days they are about the last place I would even consider.

Sako and Tikka are usually the first place I look when researching a potential new sporter weight hunting rifle.

Feedback Score
    Standard Tikka T3 Lite in .308...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast