Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: aimpoint pro mounting problem

Feedback Score
    Cross bolt is not in between rail sections.

Your optic mount has a cross bolt that should be sitting in the gap between rail sections. Loosen the optic mount clamp, and push the optic forward and rearward until you feel it "fall" between the rail sections. The re-tighten. Good to go.
    "We must surrender our attachments to government in every aspect of life. This goes for the right and the left. We need to give up our dependencies on the state, materially and spiritually. We should not look to the state to provide for us financially or psychologically.... Let us understand that it is far better to live in an imperfect world than it is to live in a despotic world ruled by people who lord over us through force and intimidation. - Dr. Ron Paul

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pah View Post
    .. so I contact the company who sold it to me and they said they have never seen an aimpoint mount be the problem and that most likely the upper rail is out of spec. ...
    So we now know the mount is out of spec. Can you call the company that you purchased it from and let them know you tested it on another rail with the same results?

1. Ask for a replacement?
    2. Send the bad one back to the mfg?
    NRA Lifetime Member
    Firearms and Diesel Trucks....the left's worst nightmare!

Feedback Score
    Can you take some pics (front, rear, underneath, each side) of the Aimpoint and mount outdoors in the shade using your DSLR or PNS camera on "MACRO" (flower) setting?

Feedback Score
    Been asking for pictures since day 1. This will help confirm the problem that he already solved.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Feedback Score
    Compare the mount with the pics here...

http://www.skdtac.com/Aimpoint-PRO-P...-p/aim.310.htm

Feedback Score
    added better pictures with more angles

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
    So we now know the mount is out of spec. Can you call the company that you purchased it from and let them know you tested it on another rail with the same results?

1. Ask for a replacement?
    2. Send the bad one back to the mfg?
    I did at first they seemed helpful and were interested in helping and suggested if I could find another AR to test it on. Well I did and same results so I called the company back again and they got cold on me saying I'm prob installing it incorrectly and to take it to a gunsmith so I can get confirmation on what the problem really is. Im not a rocket scientist here but it appears to be a bad mount. Even in the last pic I posted on how the rear sight sits flush is how I would like the aimpoint mount to sit.

Should I shoot aimpoint an email and see whats up?

Ive been looking at larue LT150 mount unless you guys have any other ideas. Thanks for your help

Feedback Score
    Contact Aimpoint and send pic's. It's good for them to correct this before it blows up into a post like this because a re-seller is dragging his heals supporting their product.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's a problem I see.

This series is made from a detail of picture #11 in post #1 of this thread:

The red line in the picture below is aligned with the part of the 1913-compatible mount designed to fit in the lateral "grooves" of the upper:

In this next picture, the green lines follow the outside of the shank of the mounting bolt, with the yellow line as its center. Important to note that the yellow line does not pass through exact center of the "floating" part of the mount, but rather is biased toward the top. The "floating" part is intentionally made this way, and the next pictures show why.

The reason for this is that the "floating part of the mount is rotated 180 degrees from its proper orientation about the axis of the mounting bolt. The next photo (admittedly poorly photoshopped) shows what it *should* look like after the "floating" piece is flipped about.

In this last photo, the added dark red line shows the "widest" part of the mount, with both the fixed side and "floating" side aligned, and the laterally-interfacing section aligned with these as well. The light red line shows the narrowest part of both that clamp below the rail on the upper aligned as well.

Summary: I don't think your mount is defective. The loose piece on the mount closest to the screw-head is upside-down. Flip it over and try again.

Also, the other angles from the pictures in Post #1, after closer inspection, seem to support this theory.
    Last edited by Dionysusigma; 12-20-12 at 02:20.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bingo...
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast