Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never thought of owning an AR but now I find myself here...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Not a "collapse of society", EOTWAKI, SHTF adherent, no.
    Glad I'm not alone!

Brownells is an awesome company. These are worth a look.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod55099.aspx
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score

SHAO--what you live in AUSTIN ??

you should move elsewhere away from all those LIB's--
    thay ain't no raiders in Tejas--only red-necks !!

and a few Marines
    Last edited by E4for2; 01-05-13 at 21:05. Reason: info update

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Glad I'm not alone!

Brownells is an awesome company. These are worth a look.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod55099.aspx
    Seems like a pain, so I have to go to my FFL, then have them contact Brownell's???

Quote Originally Posted by E4for2 View Post
    you should move elsewhere away from all those LIB's--
    thay ain't no raiders in Tejas--only red-necks !!

and a few Marines
    Not Austin, Houston...

...and better safe than sorry! Governments and societies fail. Disasters happen. Undoubtedly, without disaster, overpopulation
    will be our undoing. When's there's not enough food to go around, the people will be at unrest. Stealing (or raiding) will become commonplace. You guys can't tell me that you don't believe in overpopulation at least, do you?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Seems like a pain, so I have to go to my FFL, then have them contact Brownell's???

Not Austin, Houston...

...and better safe than sorry! Governments and societies fail. Disasters happen. Undoubtedly, without disaster, overpopulation
    will be our undoing. When's there's not enough food to go around, the people will be at unrest. Stealing (or raiding) will become commonplace. You guys can't tell me that you don't believe in overpopulation at least, do you?
    It's a firearm. That's the process. They might already have your persons or shops FFL file. There is typically a transfer fee the FFL holder will charge. They will begin shipping this month. That's good news these days and that's a fair price.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You'd better check with your FFL, see if he does transfers and for how much (typically FFL's's charge $25-$75, maybe up to $150 depending on store policy). If it's a go, you need to order the receiver from Brownells website just like any other item and pay for it with your credit card. Your FFL will need to mail a certified copy of his FFL to Brownell's (kind of a PITA...most online retailers will accept a fax because they can easily check validity of the license after they get it). This assumes your FFL doesn't already have his license on file with Brownells. Then you have to wait. Then you have to hope that this is a quality receiver from a company the has rigid quality control.

Not Austin, Houston...

..and they say that TV, movies, and video games don't warp our minds....
    Last edited by Hmac; 01-06-13 at 07:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    It's a firearm. That's the process. They might already have your persons or shops FFL file. There is typically a transfer fee the FFL holder will charge. They will begin shipping this month. That's good news these days and that's a fair price.
    I know that, but I'm used to having it shipped to my FFL, am I missing something? Brownell's says I need to send a copy to them. Is all that really necessary??? If they already have my shop's FFL on file, can't it just be handled through e-mail/phone call?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    ..and they say that TV, movies, and video games don't warp our minds....
    Actually, I think it was the Houston Museum of Natural Science... a field trip in the 80s as a grade-schooler... You know, that little globe that shows the population 100 years from now, now, and the predicted population 25, 50, 100+ years from now? I think that's what got me panicked on overpopulation. The school system!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I know that, but I'm used to having it shipped to my FFL, am I missing something? Brownell's says I need to send a copy to them. Is all that really necessary??? If they already have my shop's FFL on file, can't it just be handled through e-mail/phone call?
    If they already have a valid FFL on file you should be good to go. You could just ask your local shop to order some for you and ask what their price would be. It is a very frustrating time for all of us.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    YOU don't send them the notarized copy of the FFL's license...he does (certainly unlikely that he would give you a copy of that document). And yes, it will be shipped to your FFL and you'll have to fill out 4473's for each receiver and might require a NICS check for each, depending on your state laws.

Yes, if they already have your FFL's license on file, you can just order (backorder) the receiver(s), pay for them, and they will ship them to him. You can start by calling Brownells and asking them if he is on file with them. If not on file, you'll have to go talk to your FFL, ask him to get a copy of his license notarized and then put it in the mail to Brownells.

If your FFL's license is on file, I've found that it's good form to notify him that you're having something shipped to him. My LGS considers that the polite thing to do and prevents all the "WTF is this?" conversation with the UPS guy.

ETA:
    The suggestion that your FFL order them instead of you is a good one. FFL's will get a little break on pricing and might get their order filled before regular consumer like you. And he might pass part of the price break on to you, or give you a break by not charging you a transfer fee.

Last edited by Hmac; 01-06-13 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    all BS aside, this is the BEST forum on the web for firearms related topics, and has the best members....

i mean where else can you go and talk to major players in an industry like there regular people and not celebrities.
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast