Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Bulletproof Backpacks"

Feedback Score

"Bulletproof Backpacks"

I don't know if any of you have heard of this yet but I was talking to my wife and she mentioned wanting to get our son one. This is the first time I have heard of it, but as soon as I Goggled it there were of course lots of hits. From what it looks like these companies are selling backpacks and inserts that are NIJ IIIa and a few are rated lower. Most of us know that the IIIa is only good enough for most handguns and maybe shot guns, and that will only work if the kids are wearing the pack when it muerde hits the fan so to speak. I am currently overseas working and don't get a lot of news and such so I don't know if the media is running with this Idea and drumming up the sales and taking advantage of those who have no idea of what is what when it comes to this, but what I do see are prices on these things going through the roof also. As of now they are running anywhere from $200 and up for some packs and panels. They are even going as far as to put some in a decorative pouch with any of the popular cartoon characters on them. Also I didn't think that just anyone could buy that type of armor.... isn't the media in a frenzy that he was wearing some type of body armor also. I welcome all info, advice and/or disparaging comments or words of enlightenment.

Here are a couple of the site selling them
    http://www.backpackshield.com/
    http://www.bulletblocker.com/bulletp...rotection.html

Feedback Score
    I had a backpack stop a 147gr 9mm it put a ton of holes in my rolled up jacket, And ruined my first aid kit.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Ar500.com has a "pack" plate.

I carry one since I usually have a backpack with me when traveling. Needs no explination.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies guys. Like I mentioned earlier, this was the first I had heard of them. Sounds like it would be a good investment. I have a couple of small side plates for a tac vest but I dont think they would be wide enough to stick in a pack that would fit and give the protection needed. Even sew together they would have a weak spot right in the middle where it counts

Feedback Score
    I heard about these a while back. I have not heard the news talking them up recently.

I know you are a parent who is concerned about your kid, but.....
    1. They would only be effective from one angle and only cover part of the body.
    2. They are heavy. I remember being a kid and I had enough books to carry, I didn't want to add any weight. Now the books are getting larger and there is more homework, full backpacks are causing kids back and shoulder issues.
    3. Statistical probability of it happening at your kids school and when they can get to their backpack.

I wonder if you would be better having your kid always carry a large book with them. A large dry phone book will stock most handgun bullets.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also an option: Retired body armor panels are available in surplus and second-hand stores, often for $100-300. They can be cut to fit packs and pouches. Rather than retire my own, I've kept and repurposed them.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
    I heard about these a while back. I have not heard the news talking them up recently.

I know you are a parent who is concerned about your kid, but.....
    1. They would only be effective from one angle and only cover part of the body.
    2. They are heavy. I remember being a kid and I had enough books to carry, I didn't want to add any weight. Now the books are getting larger and there is more homework, full backpacks are causing kids back and shoulder issues.
    3. Statistical probability of it happening at your kids school and when they can get to their backpack.

I wonder if you would be better having your kid always carry a large book with them. A large dry phone book will stock most handgun bullets.
    Eh... the one I've seen (back in Oct during a VTAC 1.5 Pistol course) are composite and very light weight. Maybe 2 lbs or 3lbs. Rated to stop 9mm, 40 and 45. My friend who was showing it in the class bought them for his kids back packs and one for his computer bag. They are black, about the size of a notebook computer. I forgot his source, but I need to give him a call about where he got them.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    If you're interested in an armored backpack for your child, I think the first thing you or your wife should do is contact the school and find out if the kids are even allowed to have their backpacks with them during the day.

When I was in elementary school, our backpacks were put up in a closet, and only taken out at the end of the day. In middle school, backpacks had to be stored in your locker; you had to carry all of your supplies in your arms from class to class. It wasn't until high school that we were allowed to have our backpacks with us in class.

Just like a gun is of limited value if you don't have it on you when you actually need it, an armored backpack for your child won't do any good locked in a closet or locker. If school or district policy says your child can't keep the pack with him all day, then I think the armor is of questionable value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Fandango View Post
    If you're interested in an armored backpack for your child, I think the first thing you or your wife should do is contact the school and find out if the kids are even allowed to have their backpacks with them during the day.

When I was in elementary school, our backpacks were put up in a closet, and only taken out at the end of the day. In middle school, backpacks had to be stored in your locker; you had to carry all of your supplies in your arms from class to class. It wasn't until high school that we were allowed to have our backpacks with us in class.

Just like a gun is of limited value if you don't have it on you when you actually need it, an armored backpack for your child won't do any good locked in a closet or locker. If school or district policy says your child can't keep the pack with him all day, then I think the armor is of questionable value.
    This is a good point. Many schools have safety/security policies establishing that bags and outerwear must be stored during the school day.

I would not disclose any such modifications to anyone without definitive need to know, else it attract attention to yourself and flag your child for monitoring.

Younger children should receive information appropriate to their age. I might tell a young child to simply put their backpack on and sit against a wall in lockdown, or on their back as they run, rather than telling them why. Further specifics vary by circumstance.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I didn't see this link above.
    http://ravelingroup.com/wordpress1/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast