Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new Colt model?

Feedback Score
    Swap out that abortion of a front sight with a gold bead and you'll have something nice.

Feedback Score

Talking

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The front sight is the one feature of this gun that doesn't fit. I figure if all I have to change is the front sight I am doing pretty good.

I looked real hard at the Wiley Clapp. If I would have been looking for a Commander it would have been the one. The 70 series was a big draw. The only thing I didn't like was the small safety.

Feedback Score
    I have had a couple of these in my shop recently and am favorably impressed. This and the Rail Gun represent a lot of quality and value for the money, I think you have to spend 50%-100% more money to start getting any kind of significant upgrade in quality or performance from another maker.

A few minor notes, Colt has finally changed the location of the front sight dovetail to correct "Novak" specs, the sights are genuine Novak (not clones) and the overall fitting on these guns is pretty good. The barrels are Colt National Match, with better fit than standard, likewise the slide/frame fit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Morrison View Post
    I have had a couple of these in my shop recently and am favorably impressed. This and the Rail Gun represent a lot of quality and value for the money, I think you have to spend 50%-100% more money to start getting any kind of significant upgrade in quality or performance from another maker.

A few minor notes, Colt has finally changed the location of the front sight dovetail to correct "Novak" specs, the sights are genuine Novak (not clones) and the overall fitting on these guns is pretty good. The barrels are Colt National Match, with better fit than standard, likewise the slide/frame fit.
    Beyond glad to hear that about the sights. It feels like Colt's really been upping their game recently.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by backspur View Post
    The front sight is the one feature of this gun that doesn't fit. I figure if all I have to change is the front sight I am doing pretty good.

I looked real hard at the Wiley Clapp. If I would have been looking for a Commander it would have been the one. The 70 series was a big draw. The only thing I didn't like was the small safety.
    The Government model Wiley Clapp is out there. You just have to search and probably purchase it from an online retailer. I'm not crazy about the small safety either, but I'm in no particular hurry to replace it. The 70 series is what drew me to it also.

Feedback Score
    I am patiently waiting for some major metal work on a springfield with Steve now.
    Having a hard time waiting.
    To scratch the itch while i wait I purchased a clapp government to play with.
    I really like it.
    Changed out the grips to normal and added a wilson bp safety and a nighthawk trigger.
    It is fit very well and shoots just as well.
    Very impressed with these talo colts.
    It is on par with my hand select springfield (i handled a couple dozen for months before picking the one i did)but it has the pony on the side.
    Last edited by Nfa86; 12-23-12 at 23:37.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12