Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing the finish on a 1911?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Polishing the finish on a 1911?

I would like to make the finish on my dad's old 1911 look a little nicer for Christmas, as I am pairing it with some nice cherry wooden grips from VZ. You can see some pictures of it in the linked thread and the slide and frame definitely don't have the same finish but I'm just trying to find something that will clean it up a little. Think polishing silver that has been tarnished... I can get more pics if need be. My only guess was to maybe coat it in Militec-1 and let that soak in for a day or two, but I don't know if that would do anything. Any ideas on how to make it a bit nicer/darker?

History behind my dad's 1911?

ETA - Jason mentions it in this thread.
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-22-12 at 16:59.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm new this forum but not new to 1911s. Unless I a mistaken, that 1911 you show is either blued or parkerized.

Can you clarify what parts you'd like to polish?

Next thing I suggest, do not touch the finish on the slide and frame that until you are certain you know what your dealing with. If that is parkerized, by taking any abrasive to it will remove the park'd finish from the metal. If that is blued, the only way to darken it is a reblue. And for that I'd send to a 1911 refinisher for a hot blue. Both finishes just need a cleaning (Hoppe's 9 works fine) and light oil. Both finishes are protective. If you remove it then you are looking at bare metal. If there is pitting that is something to be taken care of by a pro. From your pics look like there is putting under the grip panels. What happens is moisture collects under there and rust begins. Oh, blue is a form of rust so unless you keep it lightly oil when in storage it promotes conditions for cancer to develop.

What year is that Colt made? Be very aware that refinishing a firearm decreases any collector value it may have.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'd like to polish the frame and slide. Nothing performance wise like internals, I just want it to look a little nicer since I'm replacing the grips. There is some pitting under the grips and I'm not trying to refinish anything.
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-23-12 at 13:35.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ****ing with that original parkerized finish is a great way to make a $1500.00 plus collectible firearm into a $400.00 piece of shit. Clean it, and leave it alone.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Also, put the original grip panels back on. Those pretty new wood ones won't add to its value, or appearance.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Also, put the original grip panels back on. Those pretty new wood ones won't add to its value, or appearance.
    I didn't ask if you thought the wood grips would make it pretty. I appreciate your input on "****ing with it" though, which reaffirms my decision to not want to do anything serious (if at all) to it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    PLEASE,

PLEASE put the eggnog down and do NOT polish or remove the finish on that 1911.

That gun is beautiful as is, get some nice walnut grips or ammo, but you will nearly ruin it with any polishing or homemade beautification

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I wouldn't do it. Clean it up. Get a little better about storage and bringing it out for air and oil.

If you insist on refinishing it, have it done professionally for a restoration. I've seen one too many Colts brought down by a finish.

The pitting might be too far along do anything about it except for a bead blast and parkerize/blue. If it were me unless fully committed to this level, leave it alone.
    Last edited by Shorts; 12-22-12 at 19:18. Reason: rephrased

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Maybe what I am looking for isn't an option. Again, I was just looking for something very low key, not trying to remove the finish or refinish or anything.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If I woke up Christmas morning and found someone had tampered with my old war horse, somebody's head would replace the star on top of the Christmas tree.

Even if its not numbers matching, its a decent example of a genre. Clean it, oil it, put it away and take better care of it.

If you feel the need to throw the Brownells catalog at a 1911, buy a RIA, nobody will miss it...

Sent from my Proctor Silex Toaster Oven using Tapatalk 2.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast