Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing my 1911

Feedback Score

Refinishing my 1911

I have had my 1911 for about seven years now. It is my number one range gun, as well I my hunting sidearm. The finish is really starting to show wear. I have several spots on the gun that are down to bare metal. So I'm starting to look at refinishing options. The only gun that I have ever had "refinifhed" has been my 870 duck gun. Which I simply took a rattle can to- because its a mud gun. I would like to do something more durable and professional with my 1911. Would you guys be kind enough to point me in the right direction for a finish and perhaps someone in the Houston area that may be able to do the work? Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The toughest finish I've ever had done to one of my 1911s was melonite. you could not scratch it. I've also had a noveske barrel ionbonded and that stood up to some serious heat and banging around.

Unless there's some rust/pitting/damage happening to the gun, I don't worry about worn finishes
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What bout cerakote? I hear their's a guy in Ohio who will do any color they make for like $130 or so. Believe the coating is only .001" thick and real durable.

Feedback Score
    My only issue with sending it out of state is having to deal with an FFL for a gun I already own.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Honest wear on a 1911 is sexy.

I'd keep using it...

Feedback Score
    Well, the other reason for wanting to refinish it is to get rid of the billboard on the slide. It's a PT1911 that I bought before I knew better. I have replaced all of the MIM parts out over the years, but I certainly would mind getting rid of that damn gold logo.

Feedback Score
    All the bumps and scrapes a gun gets from use are like smile lines on your face. You are going to refinish a gun( which if at all collectible only reduces value) just to use it and beat it up again. Unless you have a serious problem with rust leave it alone and buy mags and ammo.
    FYI sending a gun to a gunsmith for repair and refinish does NOT require the gun go through an ffl

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFW View Post
    My only issue with sending it out of state is having to deal with an FFL for a gun I already own.
    As CavDoc said, if you already own a firearm, the only FFL-holder that you need to deal with is the one that you are sending it to. A non-FFL can ship a firearm that they own to a licensed dealer by common carrier (UPS or Fed Ex) and that dealer can ship it back to the owner. Buying a firearm and having it delivered to you requires that a local dealer receive it and then do the transfer to you.

The difference is that you've already gone through that process and you now own the firearm.

You have to follow the rules that UPS and Fed Ex impose (they require "overnight" shipping and you must drop your package off at a hub) but it is legal to do so under federal law.

Feedback Score
    Cool. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you are just mainly trying to hide a gold logo, get a color stick in black. Birchwood<sp> Casey makes them. Gold, Silver, etc. I'm sure they must have a black one. Just clean the gun with alcohol then rub that in. Then just oil it up.

Different brand but same thing - http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod7778.aspx

You can probably get one at an art supply
    Last edited by tb-av; 12-23-12 at 10:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast