Thread: Project Photo Essay: DIY Grip-Safety Install and Other Upgrades

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Project Photo Essay: DIY Grip-Safety Install and Other Upgrades

This is the fourth of these I've done. I'm not a pistolsmith and these have all been my own guns. The first three were done long ago (1994-98) which I used at the time for IPSC matches. My eyes were a lot sharper and hands steadier back then, both for shooting and pistolsmithing. I should have never traded off the last one (for a CZ 75B of all things). Shooting mostly various plastic-fantasics ever since. Being 1911-less though recently got me nostalgic, leading eventually to the below. The pics pretty much tell the rest.

Before -- Colt Government bought new last month, specifically for this work-up. All mil-spec. Note the cheap molded rubber grips, and plastic mainspring housing and trigger (which wobbled very loosely in its channel).

During -- Grip safety by Ed Brown.

After -- Thumb safety, mainspring housing, Videcki trigger, and extended mag catch also by Ed Brown. Original Colt hammer was bobbed to accommodate the grip safety. Cheap Phillipean-made micarta grips, which I will probably upgrade to VZ's in the same style.

Feels great to have a "real gun" again! Plans are to shoot in IDPA CDP division during the 2013 season.

Last edited by blackscot; 12-24-12 at 07:24.

Feedback Score
    Great pictures!!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Nice work. After doing one yourself doesn't the quality of most production gun beaver tails look horrible?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Looks good...assume you're going to throw some sights on there for IDPA/CPD?
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the kind words, and all from Georgia -- my parents' home state!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    ......After doing one yourself doesn't the quality of most production gun beaver tails look horrible?
    Yeah, I looked at a bunch of from-the-factory outfitted 1911's, but on a number of counts couldn't be satisfied with how they were set-up (other than some of the multi-$K models way out of my price range). I also knew from my first three guns that I could do better, and get exactly what I want.

I do humbly feel that this one has come out the best out of the four. But although my pistolsmithing skills seem to have improved, those as a shooter are steadily and decidedly slipping in the opposite direction.

Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    .....assume you're going to throw some sights on there for IDPA/CPD?
    So far I have just put some sight black on the two rear dots -- can't stand 3-dot sights and don't understand why practically all guns are supplied with them.

I like a front dot though and might eventually replace the rear with a plain notch of some kind, although drop-in only that wouldn't require any milling.
    Last edited by blackscot; 12-26-12 at 05:50.