Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The TRP is ready to coat... Pix

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    That really does look like a great melt job. I am looking forward to seeing the new Graphite Black coating.

Very good work! As others have said, you have much more courage and skill with a file than I do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That really does look like a great melt job. I am looking forward to seeing the new Graphite Black coating.

Very good work! As others have said, you have much more courage and skill with a file than I do.
    You know... If you get a set of nice needle files, and a bunch of wet/dry sandpaper in various grits starting with 220 and going on up to about 1200 you can't really screw it up too bad.

It helps that I was a machinist for years so I can sculpt metal with a file like most people sculpt clay or wood. But really if you just score some scrap high carbon steel from a machine shop (don't buy crap from a hardware store cause it's gummy and nasty) and practice with your needle files you can get really good before you start carving on your guns.

I've got a couple of bigger Nicholson files, flat ones and half rounds for hogging metal off and I use a sanding drum on my dremel occasionally.

A neat trick is to file file file... hit it with some sandpaper to even everything up so you can gauge your radius, then when you start filing again you'll be able to see exactly what you're doing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Man I wish I had the balls and the skill to do that to my TRP. Looks great, can't wait to see the final product.
    <------Be not affraid!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Look forward to seeing the after pics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
    Look forward to seeing the after pics.
    Ditto. ^^^
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    Here's the thread I did with the "after" pix...

linkey-linkey

Last edited by madryan; 01-05-13 at 18:53.

Feedback Score
    you do great work, i wish i had the time and patience...
    Last edited by FAB45; 01-05-13 at 21:43.
    The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord. -Proverbs 21:31

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAB45 View Post
    you do great work, i wish i had the time and patience...
    Honestly, I could have done it much faster if I'd trued everything up first instead of doing the blending, then deciding to true everything up because I didn't realize how out of true the flats were.

Next time I'll just surface grind or flat sand the flats and then radius everything and it'll be faster.

If anyone is curious about how to do any part of this stuff just ask.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123