Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I know this is stupid, but what does the plunger tube do?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I believe the Kuhnhausen manual is a must have. I haven't built my own 1911 yet but have been planning on one for a while.

You have the same idea I do as far as practicing on broken or used guns. I have a SA Loaded that wasn't in the best shape when I got it. It has been a great learning platform. Jerry Kuhnhausen's book has been a great help.

Good luck with your build and keep us posted!

Feedback Score

Very good point Willbrink

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    This. After a decade or so of shooting 1911s, and getting some tips and advice from a few smiths, I did some minor work and tweaking on a few 1911s. I'd never consider building one unless it was at a course such as what LAV, or C&S put on.
    I had the pleasure of taking Mr Vickers 1911 Pistolsmiths course this year and still feel I want/need to take it again. Just to review or better yet refresh on things discussed in the class, which is a metric ton of info and I still have my notes that I refer to periodically, If you/anyone are serious about learning about the 1911 platform this would be a great way to learn, the correct way, from a true expert in the field .

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by abanks8245 View Post
    I had the pleasure of taking Mr Vickers 1911 Pistolsmiths course this year and still feel I want/need to take it again. Just to review or better yet refresh on things discussed in the class, which is a metric ton of info and I still have my notes that I refer to periodically, If you/anyone are serious about learning about the 1911 platform this would be a great way to learn, the correct way, from a true expert in the field .
    Was just used as an example for the OP. I have since transitioned to the M&P platform, the first polymer wonder pistol with the ergos and other attributes to make me drop my beloved 1911s as primary platform. Sold my custom 1911s, kept the one from S&W Performance Center that although not the most refined 1911 to be sure, built like a tank and was had a far below retail due to my short stint as a adjunct instructor for S&W.

Focus and $$$, I'd much rather take a general pistol course or carbine course with a top tier instructor at this time.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the advice you guys, and you're right I should totally take a Vickers class, or a C&S class for it. (But I can't get time off work, among other stuff. I think it'd be easier for me to learn as I go along. Maybe.)

I'm well aware of how much work it is to properly build, and fit a 1911. Especially with what little experience I have right now.

But I'm going to press on, and learn everything I can. I'll keep reading threads on here, and studying before I move on to the actual build.

Also, thanks LAV, I'll try and find the Wilson videos. (... even if they do have mullets...)
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Exclamation The Fountain of Knowledge....

In a Vickers 1911 class is Larry standing there with a fire house drowning you for 5 days. Come on, looks like you could take another sip.

I took it a few years ago. Had a great time and learned alot. I just started my sixth assembly (LOL). Taking #6 and 7 for some mill time at a friends this week for the addition of some Chen mag suites. Took about 14 and 16 hours to hand checker @ 20 LPI. 6 has a few wandering verts that you have to really look for and 7 is perfect. The Springfield Custom Shop and 2 bills is starting to look a hell of alot easier. I still have a chance to FU Chen's main spring housings for both builds.

Its not a quick assembly but more a labor of love. It's a great pass time in the winter to keep idle hands busy.

ETA: Since your in the neighborhood I can give you some help with info, jigs and and tools. Hit me with a PM I'm here till mid-late March.
    Last edited by Ttwwaack; 01-01-13 at 01:54.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Sometimes you get lucky. My Springfield 1911's plunger got real tight and was tough using the thumb safety. I was going to take it apart and try to free it up, then read this thread. I took it to a 1911 smith instead of screwing it up. I have no problems taking and fixing all of the other guns in the pile, 1911's mystique makes them a little more intimidating.

RFA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123