Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I know this is stupid, but what does the plunger tube do?

Feedback Score
    Now that you know...I find this part (the plunger tube) the weak link in the 1911. Unfortunately.

Not easy to fix yourself (at least not for me) and if gunsmiths somehow go out of business it'll be harder to get it repaired.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Magic_Salad,

I've built one 1911a1 with my father, who is a gunsmith, using Jerry Kunhausens book as a reference, and really, it went well. If I had a question or wasnt sure, there was an experienced hand nearby, some parts did require some fitting, which I did under a watchful eye, but mostly it was a smooth process.

I like your idea of building one for a family member, and applaud you taking the interest. It isnt as easy as assembling a Glock, but certainly not insurmountable. You will definitely need the right tools, and some reference books, but you can do it. Have a gunsmith or experienced 1911 armorer available, take your time, be prepared to make mistakes (hopefully not expensive ones) and go for it.

LAV does have a 1911 class where you build one from scratch with him if you have the $ and can make it. I've never taken that class, but have taken another class from him, he knows his stuff.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    ...What does the plunger tube actually do, and why is it necessary on a 1911, but not other pistols?
    No soup for you!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahav970 View Post
    Magic_Salad,

I've built one 1911a1 with my father, who is a gunsmith, using Jerry Kunhausens book as a reference, and really, it went well. If I had a question or wasnt sure, there was an experienced hand nearby, some parts did require some fitting, which I did under a watchful eye, but mostly it was a smooth process.

I like your idea of building one for a family member, and applaud you taking the interest. It isnt as easy as assembling a Glock, but certainly not insurmountable. You will definitely need the right tools, and some reference books, but you can do it. Have a gunsmith or experienced 1911 armorer available, take your time, be prepared to make mistakes (hopefully not expensive ones) and go for it.

LAV does have a 1911 class where you build one from scratch with him if you have the $ and can make it. I've never taken that class, but have taken another class from him, he knows his stuff.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice. I'd love to take a class like that, but I can't get time off work. (And all my money ends up going to ammo, and stuff.)

What's the name of the book you're talking about? I'll look for it.

One of the things I've taken to doing, is going to gunshows and finding 1911 barrels that have been shot out, or are out of spec, and getting cracked slides, and frames and stuff, and practicing on them.

(I have about $500 worth of broken 1911 parts, but I'm much better at fitting stuff together now.)

Also: I love the soup Nazi comment. XD
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 12-30-12 at 03:29.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The book series are:

"The Colt 45 Automatic", and "The U.S. M1911-1911A1" The first book is volume one, the second of course is volume II in that series. Written by Jerry Kuhnhausen, you can find them on Brownells, MidwayUsa, Amazon, ebay. The bay prices are entirely stupid, for the most part, I would try one of the two gun parts companies first, they average right around $30 or so.

Between both books you should be fine doing anything you need to do, and they go into details explaining the hows and whys of various parts, specs,

Copy and paste from Brownells :Volume II In The Series; Covers Repair, Rebuilding & Customizing; Even More Detailed Than Volume 1

207 pages. 6" x 9". Softbound. Filled with incredibly crisp, clear, cutaway drawings, exploded views, how-to pictographs, and photos; complimented by very readable, detailed text, dimensioned close ups of all the components and valuable tricks of the trade. If you want to understand the 1911, how it functions, what causes it to malfunction and how to fix it, you must have this book. Includes what are probably the best set of instructions for fitting a custom barrel available to date. Jerry Kuhnhausen illustrates how to fit parts to the proper dimensions and install them correctly - a must whether you're building duty guns, casual plinkers, or match winners. Even the index is well laid out and useful. An excellent reference work and practical how-to manual.

And Copy and paste from MidwayUSA:

By Jerry Kuhnhausen. A detailed book which is extremely practical for every level of gunsmithing knowledge. This manual covers the 1911 from the lanyard loop to the barrel bushing. Contains useful information on inspection, part selection, part installation, trouble-shooting and function testing. Also shows tricks the pros use to turn stock 1911s into full-blown carry and race guns. Contains instructions and illustrations on assembly and disassembly, pitfalls to avoid and areas to check for the best performance. 202 Pages - Softcover.

As a side note, Brownells, Midway, Sarco, and Numrich all at one time or another sold .45 kits that had the frame, slide and barrel already fit. I dont remember cost, what brand, or company stampings, but that is one way to get started. If you cant find these listed on a website, try calling the companies directly and ask, if nothing else they can perhaps point you in the right direction.

edit: The frame being considered a firearm of course has to go through an FFL dealer
    Last edited by Lahav970; 12-30-12 at 05:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahav970 View Post
    The book series are:

"The Colt 45 Automatic", and "The U.S. M1911-1911A1" The first book is volume one, the second of course is volume II in that series. Written by Jerry Kuhnhausen, you can find them on Brownells, MidwayUsa, Amazon, ebay. The bay prices are entirely stupid, for the most part, I would try one of the two gun parts companies first, they average right around $30 or so.

Between both books you should be fine doing anything you need to do, and they go into details explaining the hows and whys of various parts, specs,

Copy and paste from Brownells :Volume II In The Series; Covers Repair, Rebuilding & Customizing; Even More Detailed Than Volume 1

207 pages. 6" x 9". Softbound. Filled with incredibly crisp, clear, cutaway drawings, exploded views, how-to pictographs, and photos; complimented by very readable, detailed text, dimensioned close ups of all the components and valuable tricks of the trade. If you want to understand the 1911, how it functions, what causes it to malfunction and how to fix it, you must have this book. Includes what are probably the best set of instructions for fitting a custom barrel available to date. Jerry Kuhnhausen illustrates how to fit parts to the proper dimensions and install them correctly - a must whether you're building duty guns, casual plinkers, or match winners. Even the index is well laid out and useful. An excellent reference work and practical how-to manual.

And Copy and paste from MidwayUSA:

By Jerry Kuhnhausen. A detailed book which is extremely practical for every level of gunsmithing knowledge. This manual covers the 1911 from the lanyard loop to the barrel bushing. Contains useful information on inspection, part selection, part installation, trouble-shooting and function testing. Also shows tricks the pros use to turn stock 1911s into full-blown carry and race guns. Contains instructions and illustrations on assembly and disassembly, pitfalls to avoid and areas to check for the best performance. 202 Pages - Softcover.

As a side note, Brownells, Midway, Sarco, and Numrich all at one time or another sold .45 kits that had the frame, slide and barrel already fit. I dont remember cost, what brand, or company stampings, but that is one way to get started. If you cant find these listed on a website, try calling the companies directly and ask, if nothing else they can perhaps point you in the right direction.

edit: The frame being considered a firearm of course has to go through an FFL dealer
    Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I'll look into those books.

I'm tempted to look for the fit slide, frame, and barrel, but I actually want to do that all myself as well.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    Putting together a functional 1911 is much more difficult and technical than building an ar. No offense but if you don't understand the basic mechanics of what the plunger tube does you have no business trying to build a 1911. Heck I have been around 1911's for 30+ years and would not even consider putting together one myself
    This. After a decade or so of shooting 1911s, and getting some tips and advice from a few smiths, I did some minor work and tweaking on a few 1911s. I'd never consider building one unless it was at a course such as what LAV, or C&S put on.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I read the Kuhnhausen Manuals and said "Fuuuuuuuuuuukk that!!"

Feedback Score
    The old Wilson videos and book on building a custom 1911 has some good stuff in it also - if you source them just be prepared for the Billy Ray Cirus haircuts that abound!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast