Thread: First Line Belt or Vest for Hunting

Feedback Score

First Line Belt or Vest for Hunting

Hello all,
    Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I have done a few searches and didn't find anything regarding using first line belts or vests for hunting. Maybe my googlefu sucks. Anyways, I'm a total newb to this stuff, have been lurking and reading through the First Line Belt thread and have a few questions.

I'm a civilian and am looking to build a belt for training and shtf situations. I would also like it to be dual purpose and use it for hunting as I can't find a pack that works for me. I prefer to carry a sidearm and most packs do not allow this (or at least make the sidearm readily available when worn with the pack). I have a Badlands 2200 and a Monster Fanny pack (which is not that comfortable) and neither seem to quite fit the bill.

Looking at the way these belts can be loaded out, it appears it could fit my needs for both purposes. I'm also looking at the BCM Split Front Chest Harness as a possibility since it has a provision for a hydration pack.

What do you guy's think? Thanks in advance for your input.

BTW, this would be for archery season in the Colorado backcountry. It's hike in in the morning, hike out at night to camp. Being able to carry rain gear is a plus.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is no way I'd hunt in a first line belt. Too big and bulky. I carry my pistol in one of these http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/Order.html The website is poor, but the quality is excellent. It allows my pistol to be carried on my chest and still carry my pack.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I have a holster similar to that, but am not a fan since I wear a bino harness.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm the opposite. No way would I want stuff on my chest while hunting. My BROKOS belt works perfectly fine for hunting, and makes carrying items I need very easy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LightningFast View Post
    I'm the opposite. No way would I want stuff on my chest while hunting. My BROKOS belt works perfectly fine for hunting, and makes carrying items I need very easy.
    Thanks for the info. Any chance you have pics of your load out for hunting? I noticed blue force gear had some nice pouches that could be used for holding gear.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't see hunting as a tactical situation. both vests and belts make space and weight compromises to keep ammo and other critical supplies in easy access.

if you want a pistol with you, I would just mount it on a regular belt along with a spare mag pouch(s) and maybe a fixed knife/multitool. everything else including snacks, H20, TP, IFAK, survival gear, blind making tools, raingear, change of socks and other garments, spare ammo, etc., would go in the pack...
    Last edited by ra2bach; 12-30-12 at 16:22.
    never push a wrench...