Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CA 2013 anti-gun legislation

Feedback Score

CA 2013 anti-gun legislation

With the panic over pending Federal anti-gun legislation, state anti-gun legislation is often overlooked until it is too late.

So, here is a heads up on newly submitted CA anti-gun legislation.

Feedback Score

AB48. Skinner. large capacity magazines & ammunition transfers

AB48. Skinner Redefines the term "large capacity magazine" & prohibits the transfer of ammunition by a non-licensed dealer.

Existing laws, allows people to legally acquire "magazine rebuild kits". Which, people can legally use to repair/replace legally owned large capacity magazines or keep as parts for use outside of CA or to be used to make a permanent 10 round magazine.
    Existing laws, allows an individual to transfer (sell/give) ammunition to another individual.

Proposed legislation would revise the definition of “large-capacity magazine” to mean any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, including a readily restorable, as defined, disassembled large-capacity magazine, and an oversize magazine body that appears to hold in excess of 10 rounds.
    Proposed legislation makes it illegal for anyone not licensed as a dealer to transfer (sell/give) ammunition to anyone and requires dealers to report anyone buying ammo to CA DOJ.

Bottom line:
    *Makes the importation/manufacture/selling of "magazine rebuild kits" illegal.
    *Only dealers can legally transfer (sell/give) ammo and dealers must report any transfers.

Proposed Penal Code 16740
    (a)As used in this part, “large-capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, including, but not limited to, a readily restorable disassembled large-capacity magazine and an oversize magazine body that appears to hold in excess of 10 rounds. A magazine body is not a large-capacity magazine if it is only of sufficient size to accommodate no more than 10 rounds of ammunition and the internal working parts of the magazine, including the follower and spring.
    (b) As used in this section, “readily restorable” means magazine parts under the custody and control of an individual or individuals that can be assembled into a complete magazine.

Proposed Penal Code 30301
    (a) Anyone in this state, prior to selling, transferring, or otherwise furnishing ammunition to an individual or business entity in this state or any other state, shall do all of the following:
    (1) Require proper identification from the purchaser in the form of a driver’s license or other photographic identification issued by a state or the federal government.
    (2) Be an authorized firearms dealer, pursuant to Section 26500.
    (3) Submit a report to the Department of Justice for all of the transactions, in a manner to be determined by the department.
    Last edited by Quiet; 01-17-13 at 01:58. Reason: added ammo part

Feedback Score

SB47. Yee. assault weapons

SB47. Yee. "bullet button" ban

Exisiting law, allows a maglock + 10 round or less magazine installed onto a firearm to make it equate to a firearm that operates using a fixed magazine, that can be removed by using a tool (such as the tip of a bullet).

Proposed legislation would redefine what consitutes a "fixed magazine" to mean an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action.

This legislation failed to pass earlier this year and is being "improved" and resubmitted for next year's session.

Bottom line:
    *Bans "bullet button" style magazine locks.
    Last edited by Quiet; 01-26-13 at 07:21. Reason: added new info

Feedback Score

SB53. DeLeon. ammunition permit

SB53. DeLeon Creates the requirement to obtain a state issued permit in order to purchase ammunition.

Exisiting law, does not require a permit to purchase ammunition.

Proposed legislation would require a non-prohibited person to acquire and maintain a permit to purchase ammunition in order to purchase ammo. The applicant for permit will go through a background check (live scan/fingerprinted + application fee). Once approved the permit is only valid for one year (annual renewal fee). When ammo is acquired via face-to-face from a vendor, need to pay a transfer fee.

Bottom line:
    *Need a permit to acquire ammunition from licensed vendors.
    *Bans mail order/online ammo sales.
    *Creates fee system (application, renewal, transfer)

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

SB108. Yee. lending & storing firearms

SB108. Yee Redefines the condition of how a firearm can be lent and mandates how a firearm must be stored.

Existing laws, allows non-prohibited persons to loan firearms to other non-prohibited persons infrequently and up to 30 days.
    Existing laws, do not require firearms to be stored in any particular manner. Except when there are children present.

Proposed legislation would only allow registered firearms to be legally loaned and establishes minimum age limits on the person being lent the firearm.
    Proposed legislation would require that all firearms to be stored in a locked container or in a gun safe or disabled with a firearm safety device (gun lock) when the owner of the firearm is outside of their residence.

Bottom line:
    *Only registered firearms can be legally loaned.
    *All firearms must be stored in a locked container/safe or disabled with a gun lock whenever the owner of the firearm is not home.
    Last edited by Quiet; 01-17-13 at 02:09.

Feedback Score

AB187. Bonta. ammunition tax

AB187. Bonta. Creates a tax on ammunition sales.

Proposed legislation was create a tax on all ammunition sales by vendors in CA.

Bill was recently introduced and the specifics have yet to be printed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is no heads up here, the people of california made sure everything was a rubber stamp process with no dissenting opinion.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score

Re: CA 2013 anti-gun legislation

This will put people out of work, California is a master of destroying their economy. I'm glad I left but sad to see my home intentionally destroyed, there is no other explanation.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

What to do?

I really am at a loss. Take a look at the presidential election map by county and you will see that a good portion of CA, and especially northern CA is solid Red.

I have a great job, and all my family is here. However, I will not be made into a criminal by a bunch of idiots from the bay area and LA.

The only scenario I can see that would fix this state is to split it into two or three pieces. I know it will never happen, but I can dream.

I am starting to plant the seed in my wife's mind regarding a move to a different state. Even the worst of the federal proposals is not as bad as what we currently have, never mind what is proposed for this year. Quiet only touched on a few of the dozens of new gun laws currently proposed.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast