Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So are "Wilson Combat 47D" THE mags to buy?????

Feedback Score

So are "Wilson Combat 47D" THE mags to buy?????

1911 noob here,

im about ready to pull-the-trigger on my FIRST 1911, either going to be a Springfield TRP or Kimber Warrior.....

I know that the magazines are critical for function on a 1911 and want to stock up before i get my gun......

read a lot about the wilson combat mags, are these the ones i need to buy for these particular guns???

thanks

Bruce

Feedback Score
    Yes. I've been using the WC 47D magazines for more than 15 years and in my opinion they are the best. I've been shooting 1911's for around 30 years and before I got turned onto the Wilson mags I used standard government issue mags and whatever other commercial products I found. I'm a big fan of Wilson Combat 1911's and their customer service is outstanding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dash1 View Post
    Yes. I've been using the WC 47D magazines for more than 15 years and in my opinion they are the best. I've been shooting 1911's for around 30 years and before I got turned onto the Wilson mags I used standard government issue mags and whatever other commercial products I found. I'm a big fan of Wilson Combat 1911's and their customer service is outstanding.
    thank you

Bruce

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Generally I've found Hilton Yam's advice on magazines to be spot on. Here's a link to the article.

Consistent with Yam's article, I found my Wilson 47Ds lost spring strength fairly quickly, and they were inconsistent in locking back the slide on my Springfield Armory 1911. I've had much more consistent results with the CMC Powermags. At this point, all of my remaining 47s have been upgraded with the Tripp Super 7 kit, and are (now) very reliable.

Were I buying additional magazines today, I'd purchase additional CMCs or Wilson ETMs per Yam's advice.
    “Shooting a gun projects your personal will across time and space in a flash. I want to hit that and that is hit. Straight from your mind to the physical world. Talk about your PowerPoint presentations.” --Don Winslow, Savages

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I loved my ETM's when I had my 1911. Never a hickup.

If I ever get another 1911 I will pick up more ETM's or some Tripp mags.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Generally I've found Hilton Yam's advice on magazines to be spot on. Here's a link to the article.

Consistent with Yam's article, I found my Wilson 47Ds lost spring strength fairly quickly, and they were inconsistent in locking back the slide on my Springfield Armory 1911. I've had much more consistent results with the CMC Powermags. At this point, all of my remaining 47s have been upgraded with the Tripp Super 7 kit, and are (now) very reliable.

Were I buying additional magazines today, I'd purchase additional CMCs or Wilson ETMs per Yam's advice.
    I only order ETMs as well. The only non ETM magazines that I currently own are mags that come with the 1911 but I usually trade or sell them in short order. However, I do have a couple of Nighthawk magazines that I received with my new gun that I haven't gotten around to selling yet and haven't given me any problems yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    HK

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would personally say that Tripp Cobramags are THE mags to buy.
    My experience with Wilson 47s mirrors that of JSGlock34's, weak springs remedied by Tripp 7rd kits.

Feedback Score
    I will also add that the 47D magazines are good magazines. I would like to try some Tripp cobra mags sometime down the road. I hear they are much nicer than the 47D's. Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Wilson's.
    Elections have consequences.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    1911 noob here,

im about ready to pull-the-trigger on my FIRST 1911, either going to be a Springfield TRP or Kimber Warrior.....

I know that the magazines are critical for function on a 1911 and want to stock up before i get my gun......

read a lot about the wilson combat mags, are these the ones i need to buy for these particular guns???

thanks

Bruce
    I have some 47D's I will sell you if you want. I used them for almost 5 years on duty but got tired of buying rebuild kits every 12 months. For the life of me I can't figure out how springs can loose tension when not being cycled a lot. I replaced them with CMC and am very happy with them.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    I've always used CMC Powermags without an issue, 8 rounders only. I don't have experience with the 10 round mags.

Couldn't tell you about the other brands, I got into the Powermags back when they were cheap and never saw any reason to change. My mags have seen extensive use, many thousands of rounds in over a dozen different guns.

If you don't mind a 7 round mag, USGI mags are great. Easy seating, smooth feeding. Stick with hollowpoints that mimic the 45 ball ogive (like the Golden Saber) and you'll have no issues with feeding from GI mags, assuming the pistol is built to spec .

My recommendation is to pick one of the mag types mentioned (47D, powermag, Tripp, whatever), buy two of them, and test them for a few hundred rounds. If they run in your gun with your chosen ammo, buy a bunch more. If not, try another type. Just don't buy a pile of mags without testing them in your gun first in case you got an oddball. There are certainly guns out there that won't run with 47Ds.

I know you didn't ask but I'd highly recommend buying the TRP over the Warrior (I have no faith in Kimber QA/QC). If you can afford it, buy a higher end pistol like a Wilson CQB or Springfield Professional or something. Spending less than $1800-2000 on a 1911 is a crapshoot, you might get a great gun and you might get a project. Just the way it is these days.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast