Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So are "Wilson Combat 47D" THE mags to buy?????

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have had similar experiences with Wilson 47D's that Hilton Yam found. I am a pretty heavy 1911 user and fire around 10,000-15,000 rounds/year through my duty 1911. All of those rounds are on Wilson 47D's or Chip McCormick Power Mags.

The 47D's have become my training/competition mags, while the Power Mags are what I load up defensive/service ammunition in and carry off the range. THe 47D's lose spring tension quickly, and I end up replacing all the springs in the mags about once a year with wolff +10% extra power springs. I have also had the base plates of the 47D's work loose over time and pop off or loose when dropped. I have to double check them after picking them up off the ground to make sure the base plate isn't sticking halfway off the bottom of the mag. I also find that dirt/sand and grit that gets inside the mag body will chew up the plastic follower on the 47D's as opposed to the metal follower on the CMC power mags. This causes the follower to have a grittier/rougher feel even after disassembling and cleaning the mags.

Feedback Score
    Which 10 rounders would you folks who own a TRP recommend? The Trips or the 2012 CMC version?

I specifically mentioned the TRP because my research has found that CMC made some slight changes to their 10 rounders to work properly in a TRP.

Feedback Score
    Please allow me to add to my statement about 47Ds that I replaced springs often. I apologize for that omission. I should have gone into more detail. I replaced the springs on my carry mags once or twice a year. I never replaced the springs on my training mags. My first set of 5 training mags had about 15k rounds though them when I replaced them. I treated those magazines roughly, I'd drop them and sometimes step on them. I've had the base pad pop off a couple of times and had the follower get chewed up, but afterwards they still worked.

Feedback Score
    I've had good luck with Wilson 47D Mag's.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
    Which 10 rounders would you folks who own a TRP recommend? The Trips or the 2012 CMC version?

I specifically mentioned the TRP because my research has found that CMC made some slight changes to their 10 rounders to work properly in a TRP.
    I'm not aware of any "slight changes" made by Chip. CMC 10 rounders work flawlessly in my SA PRO.

I've seen Steve Baily of Heirloom carry them as part of his on duty kit.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    I'm not aware of any "slight changes" made by Chip. CMC 10 rounders work flawlessly in my SA PRO.

I've seen Steve Baily of Heirloom carry them as part of his on duty kit.
    This is what I was referring to:

New CMC are marked with a 12.

In case anyone is wondering where I'm getting this info on CMC 10 rounders and the TRP...this is the thread

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/m1911/1...wer-mag-3.html

Feedback Score
    Since I can't link, I will copy this, apparently it had to do with the magwell.

Hello David,

The Springfield TRP is the only model that the 10rd Power mag will not work in.
    We do have some customers that will trim just a hair off the shroud with a utility knife or something sharp so it will fit. Please be careful when doing so.
    We know and understand that this is however a temporary fix for our customers. We may have a better solution to fix this issue in the future.

We thank you,
    Starr
    CMC Customer Service

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    47Ds are my preferred magazine. I like the ETM and the Cobra Gen 2 mags, but have decided that the low pro base pads on the 47D is better for me.

I will say the Wilson 47d mags have held up much better than the original Tripp Cobras which are basically junk now. I had to replace springs fairly early in their service life and now the feed lips have spread so far the mags no longer drop free.

Edit to add:
    I stay away from the power plus mags from CMC. The followers prevent mags from dropping free when they pop forward and partially out of the mag body, which is about 75% of the time. Happens with 8 and 10 rounders.
    Last edited by David Thomas; 12-30-12 at 13:04.
    FUNDAMENTALS: A crutch for the talentless

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They work well, but they're the only one of mine that actually fell apart when I let them drop out of my gun on an empty reload.

Must have been a fluke, but when it hit the deck...the follower popped completely out of the magazine.

Only happened one time...but ...
    Last edited by gan1hck; 12-30-12 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    Very interesting.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast