Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good alternative to brass snare wire

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Good alternative to brass snare wire

Mil-spec surplus "Trip" wire. Comes on handy little wooden spools. OD green in color so it blends pretty well. Haven't had a chance to test it out in the woods yet but it seems like it'll work just fine.

Feedback Score
    Where did you get this stuff?

Feedback Score
    In a pinch you can use safety wire like the wire used to secure nuts and bolts on road racing motorcycles.

Feedback Score
    Get some 1/32” or 3/64” 1x19 cable and a micro or mini lock. 1/32 cable is VERY small and almost invisible in the field. The Snare Shop would be a good start.

I’m gonna step on some toes here…but. Using wire for snares is amateurish at best. I trap and snare to supplement my income and would NEVER think of using wire for anything but fixing a fence or a snare support.

A lot of the “snaring” info on the survival and self-preparedness sights will NOT work in the real world. Can it work? Sometimes. Would I bet my life on it? NO!

Like solar stills, it is info that keeps getting regurgitated from one survival book to the other without any real world evidence to back it up.

Feedback Score
    Give old guitar strings a try.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another good option would be plastic coated leader wire. You can get it in varying diameters. Most of it is coated in black plastic. Its available at a walmart near you!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by strow View Post
    Get some 1/32” or 3/64” 1x19 cable and a micro or mini lock. 1/32 cable is VERY small and almost invisible in the field. The Snare Shop would be a good start.

I’m gonna step on some toes here…but. Using wire for snares is amateurish at best. I trap and snare to supplement my income and would NEVER think of using wire for anything but fixing a fence or a snare support.

A lot of the “snaring” info on the survival and self-preparedness sights will NOT work in the real world. Can it work? Sometimes. Would I bet my life on it? NO!

Like solar stills, it is info that keeps getting regurgitated from one survival book to the other without any real world evidence to back it up.
    If you don't use wire, then what IS your choice?
    "Those who do can't explain; those who don't can't understand"...

Feedback Score
    I would prefer 1x19 aircraft cable for 90% of my snare work. 1/32" 1x19 is $8 per 100' at the snare shop and would work well for small game. 1/16" or 5/64 is plenty strong for most coyote, beaver, coon, etc. 7x7 cable comes in second place and does not hold as nice a loop but will work ok. I do use 7x7 and 7x19 cable for my snare extensions and tie-offs.

If you are serious about this invest in instruction from someone who makes a living trapping/snaring and doing damage control work.

Saving $$$ on cheap cable or wire is like buying factory second's condoms. It's a train wreck waiting to happen.

Feedback Score
    What do you plan on snaring is what I should have asked.

You name the critter and I will give you my opinion on what type and size cable to use. What lock I would recommend. What diameter loop and how high off the ground.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm with strow. We use nothing but cable up here for snares.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast