Thread: Sourcing parts for KISS/IDF/LW build

Feedback Score

Sourcing parts for KISS/IDF/LW build

I'm looking to build a lightweight A1 carbine and it's been quite a while (years) since I've had to source parts for an AR build. CMMG or a old, used Colt is the only real option for acquiring one whole. I would rather accumulate parts myself and do most of the work myself (sans barrel & headspacing).

I want to source the best parts possible. I'm looking for reliability, durability and overall quality. This will be my go-to range/class/self def carbine. Looking for sources for the following:

A1 upper
    stripped lower
    lower parts kit
    trigger
    lightweight barrel 14.5 or 16.0
    CAR handguards
    A quality BCG
    CAR or M4 stock
    buffer & spring
    KNS pins

I'm sure that I have forgotten someting. Feel free to add to the list. Suggestions for vendors or classifieds listings are welcome.

Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Can I ask how you came to the conclusion that a completely stripped down carbine will be the most effective tool for you for defensive purposes?

Feedback Score
    This build is mostly for relative cost effectiveness and ease of use. Looking to build a simple and reliable ironsighted range/class weapon. Self def is a tertiary need. For pure home def, I have a Patriot Arms re-worked Rem 870.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Understood, I thought this was was your primary.

I think you could get away with Bushmaster for receivers and barrels and then use Colt or BCM internals... probably CMMG would work, too. Since you have complete control over the build the factory QC issues won't really be there.

Feedback Score
    Any other sources for barrels or A1 upper receivers? I wasn't impressed with the last CMMG upper I used.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Well, if you want to go this route then your choices are much more limited. I believe Diemaco A1 style uppers are available, but I wouldn't know where offhand.

Feedback Score
    An F-marked FSB isn't necessary is it?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Not for an A1.

Feedback Score
    xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 22:02.
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)