Thread: Help with Ballister-Molina.. PICS BELOW!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Help with Ballister-Molina.. PICS BELOW!!

a friend of mine is storing some guns at my house while he's in Fla working..Anyway, He was complaining about how difficult it was to retract the slide..I replaced the recoil spring with a #16 spring, and that seemed to fix that..However, when I had it apart, I looked it over and noticed that on the frame, in the area in front of the hammer, and what would be the back of the mag well, (right where the ejector sits) There two cracks in this area, about the same width as the area between the hammer and back of mag well, going across the frame..the cracks extend into the bottom of the slide rails on either side, but no fruther. It's almost as if this peice was installed seperately during manfacture..Anyway my gut feeling is, that this is now a wall hanger.. Is this common with these? Has anyone seen this before? is this thing now scrap?
    Last edited by ralph; 12-31-12 at 14:34.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    a friend of mine is storing some guns at my house while he's in Fla working..Anyway, He was complaining about how difficult it was to retract the slide..I replaced the recoil spring with a #16 spring, and that seemed to fix that..However, when I had it apart, I looked it over and noticed that on the frame, in the area in front of the hammer, and what would be the back of the mag well, (right where the ejector sits) There two cracks in this area, about the same width as the area between the hammer and back of mag well, going across the frame..the cracks extend into the bottom of the slide rails on either side, but no further. It's almost as if this piece was installed separately during manufacturing..Anyway my gut feeling is, that this is now a wall hanger.. Is this common with these? Has anyone seen this before? is this thing now scrap?
    Will you post some pics?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Also would love to see the pics, I can't quite picture where this crack is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll see if I can get some up...may take awhile so, bear with me

So, what do you think?? I'm thinking this Molina may be a wall hanger...
    Last edited by ralph; 12-31-12 at 14:32.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    Might try posting that same pic on the 1911 forum.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No problem -- just where the ejector is pressed in. It isn't actually a 1911, and it has a different design up there in the rail and ejector area.

Here is the same spot on my Star model BM (also a Spanish pistol).

If you want to 'dispose' of it, though, I'll pay shipping to my FFL.

Last edited by HackerF15E; 01-01-13 at 18:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brushy bill View Post
    Might try posting that same pic on the 1911 forum.
    That's a thought..I was hoping with all the 1911 knowledge here, someone would come along that would know what's up with this pistol..Besides, I'm not a member over there, and I'm not really interested in signing up just to post some pics, and probably not go back..I don't know why this happened to this pistol.. I've already advised my friend that I would'nt shoot it anymore...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    No problem -- just where the ejector is pressed in.

Here is the same spot on my Star model BM (also a Spanish pistol).

Ok would you care to explain this a little if you don't mind.. I'll retract my previous statement about not shooting it..The pistol is not mine to dispose of..so, I can't help you there..
    Last edited by ralph; 01-01-13 at 18:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Ok would you care to explain this a little if you don't mind.. I'll retract my previous statement about not shooting it..The pistol is not mine to dispose of..so, I can't help you there..
    Bottom line: the "cracks" you see are simply where the piece that holds the ejector mounts in the frame and meets up with the frame rails. It is, on both the pistol in your photo and my photo, exactly as designed and built.

There is nothing wrong with it.

Here's what that ejector piece looks like out of the frame: (note: this is a Star BM ejector, but the Ballester-Molina piece looks similar. I couldn't find a photo like this of it that shows how it differs from a 1911 ejector that simply pins into the top of the frame).

Last edited by HackerF15E; 01-01-13 at 18:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    Bottom line: the "cracks" you see are simply where the piece that holds the ejector mounts in the frame and meets up with the frame rails. It is, on both the pistol in your photo and my photo, exactly as designed and built.

There is nothing wrong with it.

Here's what that ejector piece looks like out of the frame: (note: this is a Star BM ejector, but the Ballester-Molina piece looks similar. I couldn't find a photo like this of it that shows how it differs from a 1911 ejector that simply pins into the top of the frame).

Hacker, Thanks..Those pics explain alot..Now I understand.. I kinda thought something was a little funny, as the cracks were pretty straight..Now, I understand why.. Well, Thanks again for clearing that up for me,I learned a little bit..My friend will be pleased that his BM, is'nt a wallhanger..