Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first AR, need some input please.

Feedback Score

My first AR, need some input please.

I`ve done alot of homework and now I`ve got a deposit on an inbound RRA Comp Elite that the dealer ordered @ SHOT. I want to stay in this price range ( $1300 ) but could I have done better? He talked like the only thing better was LMT. How `bout some help guys.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Isn't a little late to ask for advice after you have a deposit down??

just my $.02 but
    A. I would not have bought a RRA.
    B. The PADS rear sight is a BUIS MATech site you can get for $40
    C. That hand guard is not my first, second or third choice.
    D. Fixed front sights for me on everything except a precision gun that uses Magnified optics.

You would have been better off with a LMT. Built to a much higher standard..

Since you asked...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would definitely avoid the RRA, if for no other reason than you can get a better quality carbine for the same, if not less, money. If you want something that is along that same idea, I would go with a Smith & Wesson M&P 15T. You can get it for less than $1300 (around $1175 is the lowest I've seen them) and if you get it before April you can get a $100 mail in rebate. It is a 16" barrel, carbine length gas system with a collapsible stock. It has a low-profile gas block with a 10" Troy free-float rail and Troy flip-up front and rear BUIS. I have had one for a few weeks now, put a couple of hundred rounds through it so far and it has been awesome! All of the issues with the earlier S&W M&P15Ts have been resolved, so the magwell works perfectly with PMAGS (I have 5, all seat easily and drop free) and the gas block is pinned as well as set screwed. Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    Well, call me the guy who likes to see his glass as half full. Though I think your dealer may have led you astray, if you're committed to this rifle and can't cancel I think you have two options: One, turn right around and sell it on consignment and find another rifle. Two, enjoy your new rifle. I'm not a huge fan of recent RRA's, but hey man - you never know. If this is your first foray into AR-15's, then have at it. Stock up on mags and ammo and get some range time. Take a carbine class, do some more homework. You dealer who is high on RRA's will likely give you decent trade, or you can sell it off to fund the purchase of a custom rifle you want down the road. Do some more reading on maintaining your rifle and get some lead downrange.... Enjoy your new gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
    I want to stay in this price range ( $1300 ) but could I have done better?
    $1,300 price range - I'll take the to mean $1,200 to $1,400. In that range you have Colt, LMT and Noveske, probably the best 3 made. And you can drop down and save some bucks with the S&P M&P 15x or 15T, as someone else said. See the chart and discussion at https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ouch. What the heck is YHM thinking these days?

Anyway, yeah, see what you can do about your deposit. Maybe you can get it all back or some of it.

How much was your deposit?

Your dealer needed your deposit so he could order from RRA and not be stuck with that horrid beast himself.

Chances are he can cancel his RRA order and probably order you something else from somewhere else. If you HAVE to use your dealer because of the deposit, order a complete LMT for that price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Ouch. What the heck is YHM thinking these days?

Anyway, yeah, see what you can do about your deposit. Maybe you can get it all back or some of it.

How much was your deposit?

Your dealer needed your deposit so he could order from RRA and not be stuck with that horrid beast himself.

Chances are he can cancel his RRA order and probably order you something else from somewhere else. If you HAVE to use your dealer because of the deposit, order a complete LMT for that price.
    That's excellent advice....If you can change course - do it. For that money, you could have a world-class rifle made to your specs - not someone else's.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideHz View Post
    Agreed. There is no reason to be stuck with something you don't want when what you do want is available and comparable in price.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Ouch. The only thing I personally would keep off of that is the Ergo and CTR. For $700, sure, why not. For $1,300 bucks, no way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast