Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doublestar...???

Feedback Score

Doublestar...???

Does anyone have any experience with Doublestar AR's? Quality? The factory is not far from where I live and I would like to know more about them. Other than their website I can't find much info on them. Thanks.......

Feedback Score

Thumbs up First rate

Double Star makes excellent AR's. Their customer service is very good also. Their website, however, is mediocre at best. Nonetheless, buy with confidence!

Here is a DoubleStar M4gery of mine:

Jesus said, "I have come to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish it were already kindled!" - Luke 12:49

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Doublestar is generally considered to be roughly equivalent to DMPS, right at the bottom of the stack.

If your intent is to throw it in the safe for the rest of its life, it will do just fine.

If you actually want a hard-use carbine, you will regret the purchase eventually.

A good guide is "The Chart" and the search function for numrous posts about these companies and their weapons' performance, one of which is here.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 02-26-08 at 13:12. Reason: Possible insult
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I have not heard any complaints from actual owners of DoubleStar products, just a bunch of Koolaid-drinking propaganda as witnessed above.

Ask those that use the products, not those who tell you anything other than 'their stuff' is junk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Doublestar is generally considered to be roughly equivalent to DMPS, right at the bottom of the stack.

If your intent is to throw it in the safe for the rest of its life, it will do just fine.

If you actually want a hard-use carbine, you will regret the purchase eventually.

A good guide is "The Chart" and the search function for numrous posts about these companies and their weapons' performance, one of which is here.
    He is right on the money here.

Feedback Score
    The only DS piece that I have bought are the stripped lowers 93 so far). The lowers are not as critical piece as the upper receiver and parts associated with it. I have had no issues with fit with the lowers. Of course I've used CMT parts for the lowers.

For uppers, I've stuck to LMT, CMMG & Colt's.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    DoubleStar/J&T Distributing are a nice bunch of guys. They are at all the gun shows around here, and I've talked to them more than once.

That having been said, my opinion is that their stuff falls into the great, nebulous gray area of "generic" AR-15s, along with people like Model 1 Sales and many others. They're better than garbage like Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne but that's not saying much. The main problem is that most of the critical parts (like barrels, bolts, internals of the lower) are of fairly unremarkable quality, and often unknown pedigree. What that adds up to is a gun that's okay if you're looking to build a low budget plinker that may only see a few hundred rounds of slow fire each year, but something that is very unlikely to stand up to a serious regimen of defensive training. As the core members of this forum are geared more toward the latter, you won't find much enthusiasm for brands like DoubleStar around here.

And I'm not too vain to admit that I bought one of their carbine uppers back in the 90's, when I was much poorer, and back when I was inexperienced enough to think that "parts are parts." I still have it, but would never use for anything but the most casual of plinking.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got one of their complete lowers from Black Rifle Works at a gun show in Raleigh last year. The mag release was loose and needed to be tightened. It came with an A2 buttstock that rattled(?). The complete lower was $225.

At this point the stock has been replaced with a CTR kit and the trigger group is an LMT 2-stage. The lower lives under my CMMG upper on my match gun and is not for serious use.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I've built a couple of their stripped lowers for other people using CMT and LMT parts. I haven't had any complaints, but I shy away from their other stuff as long as LMT keeps making great uppers.

Feedback Score
    My house gun has a Doublestar upper with an LMT bolt carrier group on a lower that used to be a Bushmaster AK shorty. So far I've put 1683 rounds through it including my last carbine class in October, so it's still kinda newish. I would have shot the crap out of it over the last few months, but I can't afford to do so. I've shot it enough to know that it works with my ammo and my magazines.

No malfunctions in the last 1200 rounds or so, although between 400-450 rounds, it wouldn't cycle 4-5 times with borrowed Radway green in a borrowed magazine in the hands of a guy who had never fired an AR. I loaned it to him to shoot a 3-gun match and he was holding the stock about an inch away from his shoulder. When I reminded him to mount the stock and he switched to UMC, it was fine.

I could not reproduce the malfunctions with any of my ammo (Guatemalan IMG, UMC, AE223, XM193, and some others), regardless of how I held (or didn't) the gun.

I understand the concerns that some others have expressed, but what I have functions, which is all I care about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast