Thread: First 300BLK build

Feedback Score

First 300BLK build

I bought a middy 5.56 upper and did some component swapping around Black Friday changing my AR lineup a bit. That left me with an extra upper receiver, and all the carbine length components off my former m4gery's upper. I'd been talking with some buddies about the other caliber options for AR's and had been very interested in 7.62x39, but didn't like how bolts weren't holding up in that configuration.

So in my quest for knowledge, I ended up seeing some ballistics for the 300blk, and then learned that everything but the barrel was regular 5.56 parts - that meant I could add a caliber for the cost of a barrel and the dies to make the ammo. I was in.

As we all know, plans are only good until the first encounter with the enemy, and my 300blk build was no different. I went from using entirely surplus parts, to an almost full on custom build. The upper receiver will be the only "used" component in this gun when all the build parts arrive.

So for now, we have a CMMG upper, 16" DD 1-8 CHF carbine gas system S2W profile barrel, Troy vtac alpha forearm, ADM scope mount, and Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 scope.

I have it on my m4gery lower at the moment, but have a JD lower, PSA LPK, Double Star AFX stock, and brownells stock completion kit ordered for it, and if they ever come back in stock it'll get one of the Spikes BCG's I have backordered.

With the CTR buttstock, it weighs in right around 9#.

The only shooting I've done so far was some function test loads @25 yds, but here's 10 rounds of 150gr SMK's.

So far, I like it!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looks like fun, I shouldve bought a 16" barrel so I could play. Still waiting on my sbr stamp. Any plans to put a suppressor on it? Thats what really drew me to the cartridge.

Feedback Score
    MN is still libtarded. Only in this past year did they finally allow LE and more than 10 can's allocated under lock and key through the DNR Commissioner. So it's a baby step towards liberty, but I'm not holding my breath.

I like how easy it is to make a sub round. I figure 220gr at 1050 is better than 230gr at 800 (1911), and I got the big scope for night shooting. With any luck I can make a not-so-obnoxious rifle round to use at night on yotes, but still have a decent .30-30 powered gun for deer season and day hunting.

I'm not letting the wife or kiddo out into the woods with my zeiss, but this will be a good platform for them for deer which is something we didn't have before. I won't let them use my cooper either, and that left them with .223 in the m4gery or my .308 cetme (which is way too heavy for my son). I don't like using .223 for a novice on large game. It's legal here now (wasn't a couple years ago), but I still don't think it's enough bullet for non-ideal shot placements.

The more I think about it, maybe I should make the wife her own (she was asking the other day).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Could always move to Texas Hopefully by May my stamps will be back for my silencerco sparrow and yhm phantom.

Feedback Score
    Too many ties to the land here. If I was going to move, it'd be somewhere a little less south.