Thread: 11-87 Police and Federal Low Recoil Loads

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

11-87 Police and Federal Low Recoil Loads

With the huge run on gun shop inventory lately, I came across a new 11-87 Police with a 18.5" barrel and rifle sights - temptation got the best of me and I bought it. Yes, I now have two 11-87s in the safe, the other being this one.

After disassembling, cleaning and lubing with Slip 2000 EWL, I installed a Speedfeed 13" LOP stock, a Wolf magazine spring and a Brownells stainless steel follower.

I hit the range today with two Federal LE reduced recoil loads that run fine in my 11-87 Premiere HD; the LE 127RS slug and the LE 132 #00 buck 9-pellet loads. Just as an FYI, my 11-87P ran both loads perfectly.

Only other mod planned for the 11-87P is the GG&G charging handle - I forgot how small the stock handle is.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    My 11-87P has always run fine with buck and slug, even low recoil.

Birdshot, however, it was VERY challenging to find a load that would work. After a full 250 round break in with heavy game loads, it will now cycle bulk pack ammo, most of the time.

jvg
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 11-87P will not cycle low recoil 8 pellet 00 Buck loads but will run the 9 pellet loads just fine. Reduced recoil slugs are good to go as well. It is hit and miss with 1 1/8oz light trap rounds. I'm okay with that.

Feedback Score
    I should specify that the Ranger 00 I've been using is nine pellet. I have not shot 8 pellet 00B from my gun.

jvg
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I love the LE132 out of my M2. With a modified choke it shoots one large hole at 10yds. I don't have any experience with the 11-87 though.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    I have an 11-87 Sportsman that was modified with a 18" barrel. It shoots every thing from Estate bird shot to Hornady to Federal. Its a heavy SOB, but I would take it anywhere.
    Last edited by NoveskeFan; 01-08-13 at 20:36.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    The only rounds that I have ever had issues with on my 11-87 are target rounds. Birdshot goes through just fine. That being said, mine is a 20.5'' barrel (the special purpose deer). What I have seen is that the shorter barrels are really meant for heavy buckshot and slug loads, so I'm not surprised you are running into problems. You all can correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I am misremembering something, but I thought I saw that warning when I have looked at picking up an 18.5 inch barrel.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have some Brenneke Green Lightening loads on the way for when a little more punch is needed. I'm sure both the 11-87s will handle that load fine - I hope I will be able to say the same for my shoulder.

Group shot;

Note - rear swivel stud was removed from 11-87P when I took this shot. This also shows the difference in LOP between standard and the shortened wood stock.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights