Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack hunters?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Backpack hunters?

Are there any backpack hunters around?

Im looking forward to attempting a backcountry backpack hunt in 2013.

Probably archery elk or mule deer.

Post up some pics! I'd love to hear some stories and/or advice.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Backpacking hunter here. A couple of pointers I'd offer.

Get in great shape. Train with your pack and rifle (and sidearm)
    Learn to use both:dedicated GPS eg Garmin AND use of map/compass

Get a great pack. I use BullPacs from Montana, helps pack meat out.

Gore-Tex socks = expensive but worth it. Wet boots day after day...

Have a skill set or get it to carefully cape the hide = taxidermy mount

Take alot of pics, use a timer so your in them!

If going solo, have a careful itinerary with timelines to friends/family

Build a smart but lightweight medical kit

Practice shooting with an elevated HR eg. was hiking and saw game

Cover the barrel with electrical tape, keeps rain, dirt etc out

Stretch your body before and after each day, low back, hamstrings...

Study the topo maps before going, laminate them as well

Get a better than average water filter to stay well hydrated

Have fun!
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks. I workout almost daily, all be it I need to pick up the cardio.

I bought a USMC ILBE for use as a pack. I'll probably buy an assault pack for day use.

Right now Im thinking of using a bow (atleast until rifle season opens). And not a compound, i'd like to use a recurve.

Thank you again for your info and opinions, lots of good stuff there.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That pack should work fine. I use waterproof bags x 4. Under the load bearing shelf of the pack, to enclose my tent, tarp, sleeping bag, and roll pad. That's the bulkiest of the H20 packs. Bottom pack sitting on the shelf is food, stove, and cooking gear. Next pack up, clothes. Top pack is my first aid, survival gear, hunting gear inc hydration bladder and purifier.

Here's a mistake I made...once: Used my top pack as a day pack and left the pack frame at base camp. Lightweight, more mobile, more comfortable, generally a great way to go UNTIL I killed a caribou (solo in Alaska) about 5 miles from base camp. Sooo, a long slog back to get the frame pack so I could start the meat pack out.

Lastly, never leave your survival pack or gun. Sounds simple. My point is...I know of actual cases where hunters died because they dropped their pack to close the gap on the animal, or some other reason, never to find their pack again and die - almost always to weather exposure. You get tired, dehydrated, you can get disoriented and do stupid stuff.

Another tip that comes to mind: Cheesecloth wraps and a spray bottle of acetic acid are handy to preserve meat if your gonna be out there a while.

Kindest Regards and good hunting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    what do you guys do for rain when backpack hunting? I had that problem last weekend. also what do you guys do after shooting game to get it back?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would assume for personal protection from rain a poncho would the lightest/easy to pack option. I think most guys have a rain fly to sleep under.

As far as packing meat out I plan on deboneing in the field. Quarter, debone, put in gamebags.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I use Gore-Tex pants, gaiters, and a jacket. In places like Alaska, the Gore-Tex is subject to fail if you get day after day deluge - oh so much fun. I usually have a Walmart cheap plastic poncho in addition to the Gore-Tex to let the good stuff dry out as well as a utility tarp etc..

Packing critters out is the hard part. Learn on your local game first e.g. how to cape, quarter, and debone a whitetail etc...Done properly you will not even be required to "gut" the animal. Balancing and lashing correctly to the frame pack cannot be over-stated. Good slow and protect your body. Simple stuff like an ankle sprain can be big shit if you're way out there.

Check game laws. For example:

Deboning in some states is illegal. The claim is that keeping the bone in keeps the cooler and preserves the life of the meat. Sure does make it heavier though!

Also, in Alaska and some other areas, you must harvest all meat. Neck, Ribs etc...or be subject to very large fines.

Feedback Score
    Nothing helpful to add here, but I tell ya what, it's one of my dreams to get in shape enough to go on a backpack hunt.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What do you backpack hunters use for shelters and sleeping bags? I'd like something light weight but not crazy expensive.

Maybe a clark hammock for shelter.

http://www.junglehammock.com/

As far as sleeping bags go, what doesn't take up a ton of space?

Any tent options?
    Last edited by J-Dub; 04-18-13 at 19:32.

Feedback Score
    I use a lot of Walmart gear but two areas that can not be skimped on is clothing (buy the best) , and sleeping gear ( foam pad , air mattress and excellent bag). I like to sleep 10hours when pack hunting (lazy), you can if your comfortable. I actually like the rain when hunting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast