Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: _______ is to revolvers as the G19 is to autos.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Question _______ is to revolvers as the G19 is to autos.

Gents I'm attempting to help my sister select a new revolver to use as a CCW. She wants to pick one up prior to her taking the class so she can get some time training with it. She currently owns some 4" Taurus .38 monstrosity. She came to me but I'm no a wheel gun guy, the first thing that came to mind was an S&W J-Frame. But which one? She mentioned that she would be interested in an Airweight model as she finds her Taurus a tad on the hefty side. I explained to her that there is no free lunch and with a lighter gun she would be dealing with increased recoil.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I have an unhealthy addiction to revolvers.

If I was going to pick a J-Frame it would be the 442. I have carried one of and on for a long time. Usually in the summers in a pocket. For a new shooter that is a very tough revolver to shoot well though. Any J frame will be. A short barreled K frame like a 19 or 66 is easier but no matter what you have to get around that double action pull. They also do not make them anymore so they can be hard to find.

I am a Smith guy so I know nothing of the Ruger line up. Maybe a SP101 of one flavor or another could work. If possible I would have her shoot whatever she is looking at first. Lots of people like the attributes of small revolvers till they try to hit something with them.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I would say SP101 if she is dead set on a revolver. Personally I would get her to try a PPS or a M&P Shield.

Feedback Score
    I know it's not really an answer to your question, but I'd say try to convince her to buy a G19 or S&W Shield or whatever. It's a lot easier to learn to manipulate a compact auto than to shoot a small 38 well.

Otherwise...

I had a S&W 442, and a 2.5" 686+, and they were both really nicely made guns. The 686+ was a hell of a lot more enjoyable to shoot, obviously, and I could actually use it effectively. I would never carry a 442 or similar without lasergrips, and a larger grip. The boot grip is just too small; it would rotate in my hand with every shot. And the fixed sights were not very useful, they were hard to see and POI was nowhere near POA--though, that's highly ammo dependent. Recoil was not fun at all. I'd much, much rather shoot factory 357 Magnum in the 686+ than factory 38 Special +P in the 442.

If you can find a shrouded ejector Detective Special for a decent price, they're really nice little guns. It'd probably need a trigger job. I really liked the one I had (with a factory-bobbed hammer with the SA notch removed), the steel frame gave it enough weight to tame the recoil but it was still extremely easy to conceal, and you get 6 shots instead of the 5 in a J-frame. But, the guns aren't built for high volume +P shooting.

I've never heard anything bad about SP101s. I don't like their triggers, but I am very much a S&W revolver guy, and Rugers are just different. They're overbuilt for the application, however. 5 ounces heavier than a Detective Special and a 5 shot gun, for reference. I have friends that like them, and Ruger revolvers are generally considered bulletproof.

The Ruger LCR and the S&W Bodyguard 38 seem fairly popular. I have only handled them. I was impressed with the trigger pull on the LCR I played with at the shop, but just like an alloy J-frame, recoil must be a complete bitch. The S&W Bodyguard 38 with the integrated laser seems interesting, very cheap compared with a 442 + lasergrips and a bit lighter.

The only revolver brands I recommend that are currently producing guns are Ruger and S&W. Charter Arms, Rossi, Taurus, or whatever other pot metal manufacturers there are out there are not worth even looking at, IMO. The QA/QC just isn't there, and I'd rather not buy something that will start spraying bullet shavings at 500 rounds because the timing went to shit.

Whatever the choice, if she goes with a 38 revolver, I'd recommend a trigger job. And have her focus heavily on mastering the DA pull. Far too many people go to the range and shoot in SA because they want to make nice little groups on paper, but that really doesn't help when there's no time to cock the hammer after every shot. Any revolver I own for defense purposes I treat like a DAO, because that's how I'm going to use it if I have to draw it in earnest.

But seriously, try to get her to buy an auto instead. A J-frame style 38 really is not a novice's weapon; it is one of the hardest weapons to become proficient with. It's very easy to develop a horrible flinch when you combine a heavy DA pull with the nasty recoil. It drives me nuts when I hear a gun shop employee pushing a J-frame on a woman buying her first gun, because they are just setting her up for failure. A S&W Shield or similar pistol would be orders of magnitude easier to learn on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    S&W M10, stainless or chrome (girls like shiny stuff), with 4" heavy bbl. Add Crimson Trace grips and modern +P .38 JHP. The S&W Model 10 was THE serious LE gun for generations. It should suit the casual home user just fine.

Feedback Score
    The model 10 was the G17/19 revolver equivalent in its time. THE standard LE service hangun.

I agree there is no such thing as a free lunch, so while an airweight J frame is far more carriable, the M10 is IMO much better for shooting: better grip, action, more weight and control.

I would take her to the range with several guns and see what fits best her abilities and needs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    SP101.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The direct equivalent would be a 2.5-3" barreled K frame. I've always though the 442 to be the best of the J's for carry, but my 3" Model 66 is a far better gun for actual shooting. I wouldn't discount the LCR though. The trigger pull on the ones I've handled is superb compared to the SP's and Smiths.
    Last edited by glocktogo; 01-10-13 at 07:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How does she intend to carry it?
    If the Taurus is "hefty", how much relief is she looking for?
    Does she truly understand the difference in shootability with the lightweights?

3" K-frames and 3" J-frames in standard weights with decent grips can be very shooter friendly. I know a number of ladies and youth that like them. (A 3" model 60 is particularly popular.) An SP101 is also a good compromise, but will likely qualify as "hefty".
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My first reply for women wanting revolvers is a 4" Ruger GP100 .357. (I love mine, and so have all the other women I have let shoot it.)

However if she wants smaller and lighter, I guess I would say the Ruger SP-101 in .357 in a 2-3" barrel.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast