Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: _______ is to revolvers as the G19 is to autos.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got a SP101 that I had "tuned up" by Gemini Customs. Haven't had an opportunity to shoot it much but it sure turned out nice. Not sure what kind of coin you're looking to spend, but take a look see at some of the S&W and Ruger revolvers on the Gemini website and the various tune-up and carry options. If nothing else, you'll end up with a new revolver in your collection.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    My first reply for women wanting revolvers is a 4" Ruger GP100 .357. (I love mine, and so have all the other women I have let shoot it.)

However if she wants smaller and lighter, I guess I would say the Ruger SP-101 in .357 in a 2-3" barrel.
    I have more success with the SP101 than the GP100, due to the lower bore axis, weight, and trigger reach. Ladies also report perceptually less recoil (likely due to those attributes) with the 101 vs the 100. GP100 would also require more dedication to carry than the smaller.

I've never quantified the difference in performance between the Js and Ks / 101s and 100s. That's probably worth doing.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstocum View Post
    A J-frame style 38 really is not a novice's weapon; it is one of the hardest weapons to become proficient with. It's very easy to develop a horrible flinch when you combine a heavy DA pull with the nasty recoil. It drives me nuts when I hear a gun shop employee pushing a J-frame on a woman buying her first gun, because they are just setting her up for failure. A S&W Shield or similar pistol would be orders of magnitude easier to learn on.
    ^ This x 1,000.

I grew up on revolvers, and the little ones are very difficult to shoot well. I still have an Airweight J-frame that I keep more for sentimental reasons than anything. I dread shooting it. That said, if she insists on a revolver, then get her a revolver and make sure that she trains with it.

If you feel that the G19 is the all-purpose semi-auto, and you want the revolver equivalent, then you want a 6-shot 357 with a 3” or 4” barrel. Any Smith K-frame would do, with Models 13, 19, 65, and 66 at the top of the list. The Ruger Speed Six and Security Six are also excellent choices. These guns live in a very sweet spot—small enough that most women can conceal them but big enough to be easy to shoot well.

5-shot 38/357’s are the G26 of revolvers--ideal as a BUG, hide-out gun, or a primary for a very small person. Smith J-frames and the Ruger SP101 are the only ones worth owning. 5-shot guns by Rossi, Taurus, etc. are OK for occasional shooting, but I've seen a lot of them fall apart in sustained use. The Smith is the gold standard—small, light, accurate—but they’re so small that they kick like a mule with hot ammo whether the frames are steel or aluminum, plus the sights are very hard to see. (Smith occasionally makes 3” J-frame guns with adjustable sights. They’re a very different story.) Also, the alloy guns don't last as long as the steel guns in heavy use. Back in the day, serious shooters would train with a steel J-frame and carry the identical alloy model. The SP101 is built like a tank, so it weigh almost as much as a 6-shot Smith, but it certainly handles recoil well. The sights are usable and it’s not that hard to swap out the front for a tritium blade. They also make a bobbed-hammer version that’s truly slick.

The Detective Special and the Cobra were Colt 6-shot 38’s built to compete with the J-frame Smith. They’re a good choice as mentioned above, especially with the shrouded hammer, but they’re hard to find and their lockwork is so complex that almost nobody remembers how to work on them. It’s also getting hard to find holsters and grips for them.

Medium-heavyweight 357’s (L-frame Smiths, Ruger GP-100, etc.) are more like the G17. They soak up recoil and are easy to shoot well. If she’s not going to carry, these are probably the best choice. They’re also probably the least expensive.

Revolvers are still a valid CCW choice, but a G19/Shield/PPS makes a hell of a lot more sense in this day and age.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

I appreicate all the info guys, I will take my time and re-read all the posts. I have a GP-100 and the first gun I every CCW was a SP-101 (5720 concealed hammer). I'm going to try and talk her out of an Airweight and a J-Frame for the reasons mentioned above.

While I'm at it, someone mentioned the LCR. What is the word on these, have they been out long enough for some serious end user feed back?

Thanks again!
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I'm going to try and talk her out of an Airweight and a J-Frame for the reasons mentioned above.
    Let her shoot one--she'll talk herself out of it.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SP101 IMO. I think I still have some spring kits for them.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think revolvers are better guns for those who are not willing to train to master their guns. I love autos and carry them but they require more manipulation. You have reloading, malfunciton clearance drills etc. You can limp wrist them. None of these are issues for those who train and know their guns but it could be very bad for a person who will not put much time in other than learning the basics for safety. I have bought revolvers for my mother and my brother. Because they are not really gun people. I gave them the basics on how to operate them and took the shooting until they felt comfortable with it. I feel I made the right choice. Now if the person has an interest and wants to shoot enough to learn the auto is the better choice.

That said for CCW for a female I would look hard at the Ruger SP101 or of a J frame with a 3 inch barrel and good sights. (rare)
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    If we went with pure rugged reliability I would have to say the Ruger Six series. I believe that they never got one back to the factory that was shot out of timing?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by francis View Post
    If we went with pure rugged reliability I would have to say the Ruger Six series. I believe that they never got one back to the factory that was shot out of timing?
    My Mother keeps an old Police Service Six holstered under her pillow. It’s a pretty nice revolver.

Feedback Score
    Agreeing with those above me. Have her shoot an air weight before she buys one. They are pretty brutal. Given the reliability and quality of autos these days, I see limited use for a wheel gun. I certainly wouldn't have one as a primary.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast