Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: _______ is to revolvers as the G19 is to autos.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for the SP101, if she can live with the weight. I shoot my SP101 better than any other snubbie i have ever tried. It is fun to shoot. It's recoil, even with .357 is manageable for me. I am not recoil sensitive; however, i had an aluminum framed snubbie that was no fun to shoot with 38+p.
    Bottom line is that she needs to choose what she wants, preferably after an opportunity to try several different ones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I think revolvers are better guns for those who are not willing to train to master their guns. I love autos and carry them but they require more manipulation. You have reloading, malfunciton clearance drills etc. You can limp wrist them. None of these are issues for those who train and know their guns but it could be very bad for a person who will not put much time in other than learning the basics for safety. I have bought revolvers for my mother and my brother. Because they are not really gun people. I gave them the basics on how to operate them and took the shooting until they felt comfortable with it. I feel I made the right choice. Now if the person has an interest and wants to shoot enough to learn the auto is the better choice.

That said for CCW for a female I would look hard at the Ruger SP101 or of a J frame with a 3 inch barrel and good sights. (rare)
    Pat
    Agree with every point here. Exactly what I've advised for years.

Skip

Feedback Score
    The S&W model 19?

I would also vote for a S&W model 60, with a 3 inch barrel. I just looked at S&W's website and they offer everything from a base model with a shorter barrel to performance center versions. They can be had used cheap and they are relatively easy to find. I have never looked at the Ruger SP101 although I wanted one when they first came out for a camp gun. I remember that they were available with a conversion cylinder to make use of 9mm on full moon clips. I don't know if they still do.

My 72yo MIL shoots my model 60 very well with iron sights.
    I am always polite at family gatherings as it now resides with her.

Feedback Score
    My suggestion: a S&W J Frame of some sort with Crimson Trace grips and Apex J Frame kit with a couple Bianchi Speed Strips and Safariland Speedloaders.

My niece has a similar set up (S&W 340PD with the above additions). For practice she will usually shot 50 rounds of .38 wad cutters and finish up with 5-10rounds of her carry ammo (right now it is Corbon 38+P DPX). This way she can practice and work on her skills with the wad cutters without taking a thumping on her hands while also shooting a few full power rounds to get use to it.
    Last edited by jsbcody; 01-12-13 at 16:36.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    If you get a Jframe, I recommend the Crimson Trace extended grip LG305 grip. Makes a big difference in controlling. CTC also makes a smaller grip that is harder to control.

I put these on my SW638 shrouded hammer J frame. It is my concealed carry pistol. Light and very easy to conceal pistol. I also had the trigger pull lightened, made a big difference.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...olvers/01-1150

Have fun
    RFA
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 01-12-13 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I vote Ruger sp101 with 3" barrel. Tough little guns, accurate, fun to shoot, and she could conceal it. My wife carried one for the longest.

A lot of women (IME) won't practice with a J frame because the recoil.
    Last edited by Blayglock; 01-12-13 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Norinco_Luv View Post
    My Mother keeps an old Police Service Six holstered under her pillow. It’s a pretty nice revolver.
    i've got a stainless security six myself. great wheelgun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Had the same issue. We found a Sp-101 with a set of Crimson Trace for a steal. Absolutely no regrets. She prefers .38s over the magnums for obvious reasons. She likes it, therefore I do too.
    Last edited by Fly'nBuff; 01-13-13 at 03:06.
    "Shoulder to Shoulder"

Feedback Score
    I bought a Smith & Wesson BG38 and gave it to my wife on her birthday. The J-Frame can be a handful, but she is able to shoot it effectively and making C.O.M hits out to 25 yards is not a problem for her. She usually does not care to shoot any more than 150 rounds during a practice session, but most men feel the same way. It is her CCW handgun.

I liked shooting her BG38 so well that I bought one for myself. I carry it daily and it is a good carry handgun when it is not practical to carry something bigger.

Depending on your wife's needs, I would not rule out a J-Frame or SP101 for carry. I would be hesitant to recommend the Taurus after the problems I have seen with several of their smaller handguns.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 01-13-13 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    Any Ruger, Colt or S&W 4" revolver. The G19-17 of their day.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast