Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition handgun

Feedback Score

Competition handgun

This is my first post... please bare with me.

I would really like to get into some competitive shooting with my wife. I would classify myself as a novice and my wife as a begginer (with reguards to shooting!) I have never shot competition or even watched. We live on a small farm and I shoot about once a month serirously (300 to 400 rounds mixed calib. and mixed firearms at mixed targets) and probably 3 to 4 times a month for fun. I would also like this to be pistol oriented and more or less stock guns. I'm not exactly sure what classes for competition are offered but we live very close to a decent sized gun club that runs comps and classes regularly.

Basically I don't know exactly what classes there are to compete in (this is all "NRA APPROVED CONVENTIONAL OUTDOOR PISTOL TOURNAMENTS" and what guns would be good to bring. I'm thinking of something in the 9mm or .40cal range for the wife, and something similar for me as well. I don't mind doing some work to the guns (or more appropriatly having some work done.) but I don't want to mortgage the kids future doing so (ok i do want to but probably know better.)

I don't want to look like an idiot going into the gun club and saying... duh i wanta shoot competitively and i just bought these two shiny new Desert Eagles with competition triggers and scopes to do it with! Where do I sign up!!?!?!?! I would really like to pick your brains first and have ya'll tell me a couple of things if you have the time to do so...

where do you compete?
    what classes?
    what firearms?
    what modifications?

I've seen a bunch of pictures with guys shooting different types of guns in what looks like competitive situations. I have a feeling ya'll know a pretty good bit. I also used the search feature and didn't see anything withint the first 5 or 6 pages but may not have searched properly. If not, I do apologize and if you could shoot me a link I would be grateful.

My wife and I are both 38 with some firearm experience.
    I currently own
    Colt Gold Cup Tropy .45
    Benelli SBE (old style)
    Rock River Arms Entry Tactical AR15 (I have a noveske N4 upper non-vis on order but they still haven't shipped it yet and i've bugged em too much already to call them about it again )
    Henry Rifle Lever Action 22

I guess anything else will have to be asked and anwered, thanks in advance for your ideas.

Feedback Score
    Oh and I'm planning on trying to attend classes together with my wife on whatever classes we intend to compete in first.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The way you described you and your wife perfectly reminded me of me and so I thought I'd respond.

In terms of pistol training, especially relevant to competition, I'd check out TSA run by DR Middlebrooks at www.tacticalshooting.com. It's the new kid on the block and as such is a bit more open to beginners than you might find in other associations. For me this meant I had a chance to shoot against Dave Sevigny and Scott Warren. Of course they spanked me...but it was an honor to be on that line.

I had been a longtime shooting enthusiast, but my wife was decidedly uncomfortable around guns until I took her to Barb and DR Middlebrooks. They were simply wonderful. Within two days, my wife was shooting mozambiques with a Glock 19 comfortably. Moreover they treated us like family, and their rates were among the most reasonable out there for firearms training. The Fist-Fire point-shooting system is quite remarkable, but you have to try it to believe it.

Just out of curiosity, where are you from, that might be narrow down the issues of where to compete a bit. I'd start with whatever is most available to you and your local club. USPSA or IDPA are probably the most common. I'd avoid IPSC but that's just my own prejudice. NRA is nice, but won't really challenge you.

As for type of gun...that depends more on you. A good place to start is a Glock 9mm. After that you'll have a baseline from which to make more informed choices.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You can try the IDPA and USPSA website.. they both have alot of info for beginners on them. You can do a search on this site in the competition forum. The best site for you to go to and learn from will probably be www.brianenos.com The forums on his site have a dedicated beginner section with answers to any and all questions your asking or could think of asking.

As far as what pistol to pick.. thats going to depend on what your comfortable shooting and what your budget will allow. If it was me starting over again..I would go with something along the lines of an Glock 17 or a Smith M&P in 9mm ( I currently have and compete with both ). Those will get you going in pretty much any class you want to try, they wont break the bank getting them, and mods are relatively inexpensive. Also 9mm ammo is still reasonably priced so you can practice more with them.

Good luck,
    CS

Feedback Score
    Excellent information! I've bookmarked both and sent them to my laptop as well. We live in Covington GA, very close to the South River Gun Club.

From their website they are offering these types competition
    IPSC Action Shooting
    IDPA Action Shooting
    Bullseye Pistol

It also looks like they offer tons and tons of classes and clinics on both competitive and tactical shooting.

I think this is something my wife and I can really enjoy together. We enjoy shooting at home and have been competitive in the past with other sports and we still coach, but I think that it's something that has been missing in our lives in recent years.

It's good to also hear Glock and M&P mentioned as these where two of the firearms I had been looking at and seen pictures of people on these boards using. Well within price range with some money left over for a little bit of smithing after purchase!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There ya go.. your pointed in the right direction. Enjoy!

CS

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by exitinyourhead View Post
    I don't want to look like an idiot going into the gun club and saying... duh i wanta shoot competitively and i just bought these two shiny new Desert Eagles with competition triggers and scopes to do it with! Where do I sign up!!?!?!?!
    Good on ya. I am an active NRA long range rifle competitor and way too many times I've seen what you just described. People showing up with completely unsuitable or non-compliant (to the rules of what I shoot) rifles and then are pissed off or disappointed.

I think IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) pistol competition is what will be the most enjoyable, most relevant (to an armed civilian), and most affordable form of handgun sport.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by exitinyourhead View Post
    It's good to also hear Glock and M&P mentioned as these where two of the firearms I had been looking at and seen pictures of people on these boards using. Well within price range with some money left over for a little bit of smithing after purchase!
    You'll need holsters too.

Feedback Score
    An M&P, or Glock in 9mm. Those are the two best choices available in polymer 9mm's right now. The rest are second tier.

And for the record, IDPA isn't more "tactical" or better for "self defense", then USPSA....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast