Thread: Troy MCS VS VLTOR modstock for M14

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Troy MCS VS VLTOR modstock for M14

I'm trying to decide between the two stocks. Has anyone used either one?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I owned neither, but I did contemplate the choice when I owned a squad rifle. I think the Vltor is a little pricey for what it offers. If the money was available, I would have gone with the the Troy. Just my two cents.
    "You must school yourselves to savagery." Patton

I've got enough posts to sell in the EE but since I only average 0.02 posts per day, it will be approximately 7,700 days until I can post in the general discussion area. [end of mild rant]

Feedback Score
    I think you need to examine exactly what you want to do with your rifle. If you're looking for a little extra utility and some stock/rail options, then Vltor may be the way to go. I thought they were decent, but for me personally, I could not justify the price for a modified fiberglass stock. There are folks who love and swear by them - I'm just not one of them that's all. For me, the Troy MCS took the m1A/M14 rifle and transformed it into more of a platform. At the moment, I have a SOCOM-16 riding in the MCS, but ultimately, I want to return the SOCOM to it's birch stock and add an 18 or perhaps 22" build to the MCS.

The MCS was designed from the ground up to do what it does - it's not a tweaked fiberglass stock. The chassis system is a feat of engineering and I much preferred it over the Sage, but again - that's just me. The tension bedding of the Troy MCS showed immediate accuracy gains and the fact that optics and BUIS remain undisturbed for cleaning is a bonus. Which brings me to just that. With optics riding on rails inline with the barrel, a throw of a lever can change the dynamics of the package. Want magnified optics? Throw a lever. Electronic sights? Throw a lever. Night vision?. BUIS? Lasers? Lights? Bipod? - you get the idea. Purists hate that the Troy MCS requires removing "the greatest iron sights of all time", but I think that's nonsense. The rail mounting to the sight base offers up so many more opportunities for a wide variety of sights that it makes the M14 irons irrelevant. This is a fighting rifle after all, not a match rifle.

I think the Troy MCS and Vltor are two very different animals and making head-to-head comparisons of the two systems will not yield much results. If you want fast utility with fewer options - go for the Vltor. If you want more utility, bedding, butt stock, grip and optics mounting options - go for the Troy. I chose the MCS because for me, it offered the greatest amount of utility, coupled with accuracy improvements simply not offered by the Vltor. YMMV

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks massmark you pretty much said what I was thinking. It would just be nice to be able to get my hands on both.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryw123 View Post
    Thanks massmark you pretty much said what I was thinking. It would just be nice to be able to get my hands on both.
    Your welcome! If you're anywhere near Massachusetts swing by - You can absolutely launch some rounds down range with my Troy MCS any time....Shooting is believing....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MassMark View Post
    Your welcome! If you're anywhere near Massachusetts swing by - You can absolutely launch some rounds down range with my Troy MCS any time....Shooting is believing....
    +1 in Florida.

PM me and you can throw some lead with mine.

I swear it feels just like I'm shooting a heavy AR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks guys that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I think I will start saving for it. The only problem is I live in California. So I'm hoping someone will make a maglock for the M1A