Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assessing a custom AR shop?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Did you know that Bravo Company makes a 1/8 SS410 barrel? Rainier Arms Select/Match Series 1/8, LaRue Tactical 1/8, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFingers View Post
    As others have mentioned, the OP would likely be best served with a vanilla 6920, BCM M4, Daniel Defense M4, etc. All of these rifles feature a 1:7 twist barrel. This has become a defacto standard for entry-level rifles among respected manufacturers whose standard offerings are based off the TDP. As I said, 1:8 does not mean the barrel is garbage. However, when a custom AR shop is touting this in their feature list, I assume there is some reason they chose this twist rate over what Colt, BCM, DD, etc. have settled on as the best option for their entry-level ARs. This vendor does not give any explanation as to why they chose to go a different route.

Sure, but that's not what they use in their entry level "basic build", which is what the OP was describing.

Perhaps I misspoke by saying "red flag", I meant more that it raised a question of why they would decide to deviate from a seemingly established baseline (or why they'd use a SS barrel in their "basic build") without explaining why. Coupled with the lack of other pertinent information in their feature list, my overall impression was less than enthusiastic.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    The 1/8 twist issue seems definitively addressed.

But I'd welcome anyone who chimed in on that to help with the original question. I notice what seems to be an almost disproportionate number of members from Northern Virginia here, where the shop in question is located. Perhaps they've had some experiences or could lend insight?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Edit - nevermind.
    Last edited by CrazyFingers; 01-12-13 at 13:23.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hapworth View Post
    The 1/8 twist issue seems definitively addressed.

But I'd welcome anyone who chimed in on that to help with the original question. I notice what seems to be an almost disproportionate number of members from Northern Virginia here, where the shop in question is located. Perhaps they've had some experiences or could lend insight?
    I'm in NOVA fairly active in the firearms community and I've even been in to the shop in question. Had no idea they made their own rifles and have never heard/seen anyone with experience with them either...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm in NOVA as well (about a half hour from this shop) and have not heard of them either. I was planning on checking them out, partially due to this thread; I still could if you're interested in whatever not-particularly-relevant first impressions I get of them. As mentioned by others, I think the lack of info on specific testing is the real red flag with this builder.
    Last edited by jc000; 01-13-13 at 21:16. Reason: Not relevant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    I'm in NOVA fairly active in the firearms community and I've even been in to the shop in question. Had no idea they made their own rifles and have never heard/seen anyone with experience with them either...
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I'm in NOVA as well (about a half hour from this shop) and have not heard of them either. I was planning on checking them out, partially due to this thread; I still could if you're interested in whatever not-particularly-relevant first impressions I get of them. As mentioned by others, I think the lack of info on specific testing is the real red flag with this builder.
    My thanks to you both for the offers. Don't want anyone to go out of their way, but if you end up checking them out and have some thoughts, would appreciate hearing them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

One thing you haven't mentioned...

Price??

Due to recent events, we understand that you probably cannot get your hands on a complete BCM/LMT/Colt/Noveske/DD/etc. for 2 reasons: 1) lack of availability or 2) too ridiculous of a price.

That said, what is your threshold for "too much money"?

With the exception of complete BCG's/mags/ammo, you can buy just about everything else (and quality components) at pre-Sandy-Hook prices (or close to). Something to consider, I think.

Reading a wall of text doesn't really help you "assess" quality -- you're going to have to see for yourself (or at least be given visibility into what exactly goes into their "custom" builds).
    Last edited by ^Rb; 01-25-13 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    maybe i just havn't been shopping enough, but who needs a custom ar?

it seems like the off the shelf offerings from noveske, jp, centurion, larue etc are more than enough to satisfy the exotic and hyper accurate desires of just about anyone.

if there were any need for a custom ar, some of the above mentioned manufacturers can customize an order with rail swaps, muzzle devices, barrel contour or material etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123