View Poll Results: What am best gun? (Kidding. Which weapon(s) do you feel best fits my requirements?)

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • MKE/Zenith MP5 (full-size)

30 34.48%
  • MKE/Zenith MP5K-PDW (K-gun)

25 28.74%
  • SiG-Sauer MPX Gen 2

28 32.18%
  • You fool! (Other)

8 9.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MP5 versus MPX: 9mm pseudo subguns, part 2

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

MP5 versus MPX: 9mm pseudo subguns, part 2

And so we come to the second challenger - which I had initially discounted.

However, an LGS got one of the Gen 2 MPX pistols in with brace and it is pretty tempting, particularly at the price they've offered to sell it to me at.

So, once again, the idea is ultimately a short 9mm SBR that can fit in my small duffel for overnight and weekend travel.

Mission requirements:
    9mm "pistol"/pseudo-subgun
    OAL ≤ 22" (in pistol configuration, with stock/brace collapsed/folded)
    Ease of conversion to SBR, post Form 1
    Ease of mounting a flashlight

As far as I can tell, it's a wash.

MPX advantages:
    No 922(r) headaches
    Drop-free magazines
    AR-15-controls and architecture - including FCG
    Magazines are transparent and made by Lancer in useful capacities: 10-, 20-, and 30-rounds (not that I would ever use the 10s)
    Can be had for about $300 less than the MKE/MP5
    It's here
    Modularity: Buy one MPX and it can easily be converted to an SBR, to a 357 SiG, to a 40, to a K-gun.
    Keymod interface makes for super easy light mounting

MPX drawbacks:
    "SiG-Sauer"
    Gen 1 versus Gen 2 magazines
    Magazine price and availability
    For what I want, I fear the sights sit too high and will be abnormally prone to catching on crap. And while the ability to mount an optical sight readily is nice, it's not needed and, even at that, the MKE comes with a little rail that I can mount to the gun if I want to

MKE/Zenith MP5 advantages:
    It's roller-delayed blowback, baby!
    H&K gun (swoon) built on H&K machinery (yes, I gave it two positive points merely for existing)
    Magazines are readily available and run the gamut from the relatively inexpensive (POF) to the super-expensive Teutonic übermensch (H&K factory magazines)
    While expensive (sometimes ridiculously so), spare parts are readily available
    SureFire 628 (and 328)

MKE/Zenith MP5 drawbacks:
    Not as super modular as the MPX - pretty much have to pick one configuration and stick with it.
    Money goes to a NATO ally (yay!) with an Islamist government (boo!)
    15-round magazines are only available (from what I can tell) new from H&K. Which makes them expensive. And knocks the capacity down to that of a Glock 19. I'd rather they had 20-rounders, at least that has a minor benefit in capacity over the Glock.

Anyhue. I'm, again, interested in hearing thoughts. And since I want to save time, I've made the poll so you can choose multiple selections: So if you want to vote for, say, both MKEs or one MKE and the MPX you can. Or other. Or all four. I guess.

Thanks!
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Plenty of new German 30 rd magazines out there. Just expensive.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    I voted for the Zanith MP5k PDW because it is those very important at least to me couple of inches shorter. This give me greater flexibility as to how I can carry it.

I would love to see some accuracy testing of the various stocks that hold a Glock pistol to see how they would stack up to am MP5K.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You are trying too hard not to buy an MP5. Think about it for a minute, this is your second thread trying to find an alternative to the very definition of a sub gun.

A sub gun so iconic it is recognized all over the world.

Would you really substitute such an iconic, utterly reliable, sub gun for something they couldn't get right the first time and is on its second generation in less than a year? Absolute no brainer.

MP5 magazines are readily available.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 04-10-16 at 07:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't touch the MPX until it is certain that all the kinks are worked out. Either buy an MKE or a B&T APC9.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The MPX is essentially a love-child of a MK17 and the UMP. It's a sub-gun with AR ergonomics and has a SCAR operating system and similar method of changing calibers. Not exactly the same, but similar.

I don't follow it enough to know about the "issues" it may or may not have. I can tell you from my limited experience with it, and my understanding of manupulating guns-the MPX is better. Has a lot going for it, especially bolt hold open on last round. That being said, I own an MKE. Despite what all he internet dorks tell you, IT IS AN MP5. I have access to more MP5 (both in quantity and variance) than most-they are the same. It's probably just my romantic ideas about the MP5, but I like it better.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    You are trying too hard not to buy an MP5. Think about it for a minute, this is your second thread trying to find an alternative to the very definition of a sub gun.

Would you really substitute such an iconic, utterly reliable, sub gun for something they couldn't get right the first time and is on its second generation in less than a year? Absolute no brainer.

In my defense, the MP5 is the gold standard in subguns. Just thought I'd see if folks think the new stuff offers enough benefits over the 50 year old king to dethrone it.

The number of votes for the MP5K-PDW thus far are interesting to me.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    In my defense, the MP5 is the gold standard in subguns. Just thought I'd see if folks think the new stuff offers enough benefits over the 50 year old king to dethrone it.

The number of votes for the MP5K-PDW thus far are interesting to me.
    It is a free country and you're more than free to spend your money as you see fit, just hassling you a bit.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

You must! I voted for the Z-5RS... more options available.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    It is a free country and you're more than free to spend your money as you see fit, just hassling you a bit.
    Honestly, for me at this point, it's more about whether I want to order the MKE and wait or just pick up the MPX whenever the mood strikes me.

That instant gratification thing is a pretty powerful lure.
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast