Thread: Elcan DR vs ACOG BAC, what am I missing?

Feedback Score

Elcan DR vs ACOG BAC, what am I missing?

The Elcan DR is a military grade scope with a throw lever to go from 1x to 4x. Early versions had problems maintaining zero during the magnification transition. I believe the Elcan is in it's 4th generation.

The ACOG w/ BAC (let's say the newest TA31-RCO-M4CP) is a military grade scope with a 4x fixed magnification. All things being equal, a fixed scope is usually tougher than a variable one.

I used to have the OEG and it was pretty quick for CQB purposes. The OEG was not a "see-thru" optic. The only downside was you must have decent vision.

Has anyone thought of a flip-up objective lens cap for the ACOG to block off and "black out" the objective end of the scope, ala Trijicon/Armson OEG? I'm not sure I am describing this clearly. But, if the objective end of a 4x ACOG was closed off, via flip-up cover, wouldn't it act like a 1x OEG without the complication and fragility of a variable?

Has anyone tried this? Would this work or am I off my rocker?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G19A3 View Post
    Has anyone thought of a flip-up objective lens cap for the ACOG to block off and "black out" the objective end of the scope, ala Trijicon/Armson OEG? I'm not sure I am describing this clearly. But, if the objective end of a 4x ACOG was closed off, via flip-up cover, wouldn't it act like a 1x OEG without the complication and fragility of a variable?

Has anyone tried this? Would this work or am I off my rocker?
    ya, it'll work like an OEG if you have the fiber optic illumination. just like closing the cap on an aimpoint. tried it years ago with a TA31 with red donut but not a RCO. at that time, we were just fooling around with the bikini cap and left the front one in. now, there's a flip-up cap made especially for this:
    http://www.progressivemachine.net/products.html

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...e=ACOG%20COVER

Feedback Score

Shouldn't the military teach this method?

I would think the miltary would teach this OEG method with their new TA31RCO's and that the flip-downs would be standard issue. (Thanks for the link BTW) In fact, why doesn't Trijicon offer that Progressive Machine cover as an accessory? It seems like a natural.

I'm in the market for a more compact scope (RCO-M4) and was concerned about the BAC transition. That Progressive Machine cover seems to be the ticket.

I have owned a TA11B for the last 7 years or so, but could never get used to the BAC transition. It always took me a second or two to concentrate on the focus. That delay can be deadly, so I regulated the TA11B to range use. I'm currently running with an Aimpoint, but I see the occassional need for magnification. A separate Aimpoint magnifyer is bulky, heavy, and complicated.

Anyone else use an objective lens cover on a Trijicon BAC'ed scope? Especially on duty or in a class? Positives / negatives?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G19A3 View Post
    I would think the miltary would teach this OEG method with their new TA31RCO's . . .
    We do , as does Trijicon in the RCO instructor course.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com