Thread: I purchased a Tacsol .22 1911 upper....

Feedback Score

I purchased a Tacsol .22 1911 upper....

The gun is finally up and running but there were a few hurdles to over come. Tacsol makes the uppers with file stock in some areas , this is to account for the inconsistence found in different 1911's. The biggest problem I encountered was the fact that the upper wouldn't go on the frame of my 1911. This was a caspian frame. I have seen this problem in two caspian frames now, both of which were recon models.
    The interference was coming from the ejector on the Tacsol upper. Whenever I would try to slide the upper onto the frame, the Tacsol ejector would collide with the 1911's ejector.

The Tacsol ejector has a relief cut in it to accommodate for this, however, the relief cut was not ample enough. I used a file to remove .005" and reassembled it. This time it would fit together but the opposite side of the ejector was rubbing against the slide. This prohibited the slide from moving freely. I removed another .002" and polished the surrounding area.(NOTE:I did not remove material from the opposite side of the ejector, I was concerned that this may cause the ejector to not come into contact with the casing. I only removed material from the side of the ejector that had the relief cut in it.) Having done this I was able to fully slide the upper onto the frame. This is where I encountered my next problem.
    The Guide rod lug on the Tacsol upper wasn't sitting far enough back. Again the solution was to simply file away some material. This required much less stock removal than the ejector. Using a half round needle file I removed material from the radius portion of the lug and flat wall directly below it. I reassemble to confirm the fit.

Although it did fit back together a had to use my knife to get to slide stop back out. Since I would be often switching between this slide and my .45 slide I thought it would be best to have it fit so that disassemble by hand would be possible. A few more strokes with the file and the gun was operational.
    During test firing I encountered the one problem I'm not sure how to fix. The magazines barley fit in the gun. One magazine slides in with little resistance but will not drop free. The other has to be pushed in and required a delron punch and hammer to remove.

The sizes on the mag are listed below
    Tacsol 1: 0.543"x1.377"
    Tacsol 2: 0.543"x1.375"
    Wilson ETM:0.539"x1.374

Another note on the magazines, They are ten rounders but you can put 13 in them, I do not reccomend this. It wouldn't reliable feed the first 3 rounds when loaded to 13.

With the problems aside I found the gun to be quite fun and accurate and look foward to shooting it more.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Good review Adam. Interesting about the Caspian frame issue. Glad you figured out what it was.

C4