Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NY's Gun Community Has Gone Insane (Help Define The Actual Laws)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

NY's Gun Community Has Gone Insane (Help Define The Actual Laws)

Hey Guys,

Please if you are a lawyer in our state, or an LEO with actual knowledge of our gun laws it would be awesome if you chimed in, as I am a bit confused a little upset at the moment regarding the culture that seems to be infiltrating the NY state firearms community.

Before I bought an AR in NY I researched the AWB and I have always made sure I am operating within the letter of the law. I have a terminal degree, I was honors student, and I understand how to interpret and read laws, so I was a bit shocked when I started hearing this new interpretation of our law pop up over the past weeks:

"It is illegal to put a pre ban magazine in a post ban gun".

There is 0 mention of this in our AWB, but I have heard this interpretation at three different locations in the last two weeks and I'm a bit concerned about where it is coming from.

I was sold a post ban AK from a registered FFL with a pre ban magazine included in the sale, so now I'm reluctant to take any of my rifles shooting as I only own pre ban magazines for the AK and one ten round for the AR. I could see getting swept up in this climate and having the law simply change without any actual notice.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Mobocracy is alive and well in America.*
    *Supporting Evidence for Hypothesis: The Internet
    -me

'All of my firearms have 4 military features, a barrel, a trigger, a hammer, and a stock."
    -coworker

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW California's AWB is such you can have preban standard cap magazines but if you put them in a post ban rifles you' ve manufactured an assault rifle. Felony.

I wouldn't be surprised if our guvna Moonbeam and your guvna Ichabod Crane got on the same page regarding that.
    Last edited by xrayoneone; 01-12-13 at 22:55.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    Anything Previous 1994 Ban can be used in a Post ban AR. SO more easy to understand:

Do you have a magazines manufactured and bought before 1994?
    If yes, it can be used on your post ban AR.

Anything related and manufactured after 1994 will be not compliant. Only LEO's are exempt of the current law in NY.

If you have a AR manufactured after 1994, just make sure it doesn't have the "evil' features in the current law NYS PL 265.00
    Everybody wanna be like mike!

Feedback Score
    thats crazy, I would have never thought it would be illegal to put a pre ban magazine in a post ban gun. Just wouldn't have occurred to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by francis View Post
    thats crazy, I would have never thought it would be illegal to put a pre ban magazine in a post ban gun. Just wouldn't have occurred to me.
    Is legal.
    Everybody wanna be like mike!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you want to hear stupid ask NYS gun owners about pinning stocks. If that isn't enough ask this "if I buy a magazine with no date on it how do I know if it's pre-ban or not?" "Can I use it if it doesn't have a date on it?"

I have a pre-ban rifle with bayonet lug, flash hider, and adjustable stock. The only people who ever gave me any shit about it were jackasses at the range. I have had cops shooting next to me at the range when I adjusted the stock for my Daughter. I've had cops look at it after being pulled over and not a word about it being non-compliant. It is because it's pre-ban but still they didn't even ask.
    L.L. this, L.L. that, soon as I walk in the place.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am 100% sure you can put a preban high cap mag in a post ban gun.
    Another fallacy is that your detachable mags have be unloaded when in your car.
    When I was a Police Officer NYPD, I used to read Legal Bulletins that confirmed my above statements.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    I am 100% sure you can put a preban high cap mag in a post ban gun.
    Another fallacy is that your detachable mags have be unloaded when in your car.
    When I was a Police Officer NYPD, I used to read Legal Bulletins that confirmed my above statements.
    Of course it's legal. In NY. if it's more than ten rounds there's pre-ban and illegal. It doesn't matter if you have it in your pocket, in a legal pre-ban or a post-ban rifle.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hehuhates View Post
    Of course it's legal. In NY. if it's more than ten rounds there's pre-ban and illegal. It doesn't matter if you have it in your pocket, in a legal pre-ban or a post-ban rifle.
    I don't understand your post, can you please clarify.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    I don't understand your post, can you please clarify.
    Sorry about that. What I mean is the rifle you have has no bearing on the legality of the magazine. In NYS. all magazines that can accept more than ten rounds produced after 1994 are illegal to possess. That being said of course you can use pre-ban mags in post-ban rifles.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast