Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody here not.....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Anybody here not.....

Anybody here not messing with their AR rifles? As in not practicing mag changes, weapon manipulation, cycling action, dry fire, etc?

Money is hard to come by as we all know. I did the best I could, & I have 2 AR rifles. I wish I had more. I used to shoot my rifles every month at least, 200 rounds or so, a very modest amount actually. On down time, I'd dry fire, practice proning out, manipulation type stuff. Im a civilian, so just basic things really.

But now, I dont know if I should quit messing with these damn things. The way things are looking, an AR15 is worth its weight in gold potentially. To those of you with many rifles, & an assload of spare parts, I dont think your concern would be as afflicting as mine. The way I look at it, if things get bad with the law, I dont know if we'll even be able to acquire spare parts/springs & wear items.

Every cycle of the action, & drop of the hammer without firing live ammo = 1 firing in spring fatigue. And while very miniscule, Im looking ahead to the future 20 years (unlike liberals) from now. If there is a 20 years from now.

I just wish I would have bought more, & had another couple to use, while preserving my others. Same thing applies to ammo. Just damn.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    Keep looking for spare parts. Springs, firing pins, and what not are fairly cheap and aren't too hard to get right now. A gun sitting in a safe is like a hammer you never use, what's the point? Shooting skills are perishable so if you're not going to practice with the rifle because it will wear the gun out then you won't be proficient when or if you ever need to use it. If you look at your rifles more as an investment then put them in a safe and don't touch them. You mentioned you have two ARs, so if you are that worried about the situation practice with one and leave the other alone.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Why own them if you're not going to shoot or even practice with it? It's not a collectors piece so it doesn't belong locked up in a safe. I put a few mags through one of mine today. Use it or lose it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrampusArms View Post
    Anybody here not messing with their AR rifles? As in not practicing mag changes, weapon manipulation, cycling action, dry fire, etc?

Money is hard to come by as we all know. I did the best I could, & I have 2 AR rifles. I wish I had more. I used to shoot my rifles every month at least, 200 rounds or so, a very modest amount actually. On down time, I'd dry fire, practice proning out, manipulation type stuff. Im a civilian, so just basic things really.

But now, I dont know if I should quit messing with these damn things. The way things are looking, an AR15 is worth its weight in gold potentially. To those of you with many rifles, & an assload of spare parts, I dont think your concern would be as afflicting as mine. The way I look at it, if things get bad with the law, I dont know if we'll even be able to acquire spare parts/springs & wear items.

Every cycle of the action, & drop of the hammer without firing live ammo = 1 firing in spring fatigue. And while very miniscule, Im looking ahead to the future 20 years (unlike liberals) from now. If there is a 20 years from now.

I just wish I would have bought more, & had another couple to use, while preserving my others. Same thing applies to ammo. Just damn.
    The sky is not falling.

They will not be banned.

Spare parts certainly will not be banned.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Definitely not not messing with my rifles.

The value of a tool is in the use, not the selling price.
    Last edited by naloxone; 01-13-13 at 03:37.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My rifle is a defensive tool first and foremost and will get shot the same amount AWB or not.

Feedback Score
    Good gods.

Even if you have no money for ammo, there are tons of drills that you can do to keep the skills alive.

There is a reason professional instructors advocate dry fire drills.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Guns are for shooting. A gun that is not being shot is either an expensive paperweight, or an expensive metal conversation piece.

I'm shooting mine, and acquiring spare parts and whatnot when/wherever I can.

You can always do dry drills, or substitute some .22 training for some skills, but live fire should always be part of your plan if you're an AR owner.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    As previously stated shooting is a perishable skill set. If you are training, your moving backwards. Even something as simple as dry fire practice, or "ammo free" weapons manipulations can be very beneficial. There are a lot of things you can do with one expended cartridge case and two dummy rounds.

And for what could possibly be more effective dry fire practice there are tools out on the market now to help. While I have no affiliation or experience with this product:

http://nextleveltraining.com/ar

it does look like it could be very nice to have if it works as advertised.

In addition to that, you still need to put live rounds down range. There are a number of .22 conversions on the market which can (eventually) help to offset some ammo costs, but .223/5.56 still need to be utilized to as part of your training program. There are plenty of low round count drills from reputable trainers available online.

Feedback Score
    I have not taken a bunch of pmags out of their bags, and I am conserving ammo. Thats about it for me. Also, reloading is now a new skill I will get working on. I do not believe spares will be scarce by 4Q.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast