Thread: "Mortar" a round stuck in chamber with one hand

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

"Mortar" a round stuck in chamber with one hand

I've seen how the technique is done but those are folks who have two good hands to put on the gun. I don't have use of my left arm, only my right. So I can't do it that way. If I came across this while shooting alone, can you guys recommend an alternative safe way for me to attempt to clear it?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did quick youtube search maybe heres good start best of luck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1M3ICS-AaM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsfWgfRLEkc
    Last edited by lunchbox; 01-14-13 at 21:10.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks. I hadn't considered the "starting the lawn mower" position (my term of description). I guess I was picturing this a more stubborn malfunction since from reading the inertia of the gun drop is used to get the CH started backward.

I appreciate the lead. I found another video (HERE) that was a help and highlighted the practicality of an ambi CH. Gives me something to consider.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don't think pulling on the charging handle us a requirement when mortaring.

Try a good grip around the barrel at the balance point just in front of the mag well and mortar.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depending on your optic setup, grab the rifle on the top of the reciever with your bottom of your hand resting against the ears of the charging handle. Drive the butt of the weapon firmly into the ground allowing your hand to slide down against the charging handle. The combination of the impact and your hand driving down against the charging handle will clear most cases.

If you're at the range and not trying to be "tactical" about it: collapse the stock. With the muzzle pointed down range unlock the charging handle, but don't worry about trying to drive it to the rear yet. Hook the charging handle against something sturdy, use you good hand to hold it down so the charging handle doesn't pop off, and knee strike the butt of the weapon HARD. That should also pop the round out. I've used a concrete range bench, railroad tie at the base of the berm, edge of a tailgate, and a few other things with this method.

Best of luck,

-Jenrick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can also kick start the carbine. Muzzle in safe direction, collapsed stock on the ground, strike the edge of the charging handle with your heel.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Appreciate the ideas.

grab the rifle on the top of the reciever with your bottom of your hand resting against the ears of the charging handle. Drive the butt of the weapon firmly into the ground allowing your hand to slide down against the charging handle. The combination of the impact and your hand driving down against the charging handle will clear most cases.
    Jenrick, this was the first idea that came to my mind for adapting the method. I am using a folding rear sight and will be staying with irons until situations dictate a change for an optic.

I also like the second suggestion of hooking the CH on a suitable edge.

NCPatrolAR, the kick start looks like it would work on especially stubborn stucks. When I'm doing metalwork in the garage I am know to employ my legs to apply strength to tools. I suppose it almost goes without saying to keep the directional force going as straight to the rear of the gun as possible so as not to damage the CH?

ETA: I know this might not be rocket science, but I am concerned about etiquette or scrutiny in case an onlooker sees me use such a different method.
    Last edited by Shorts; 01-15-13 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    Are you having a particular problem or is this a what if kinda situation?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robfromsc View Post
    Are you having a particular problem or is this a what if kinda situation?
    Prep for what if there is a stuck round.

Feedback Score
    Hate to say it but rapping the buttstock on a hard surface. Not slamming it so it cracks hard. Collapse it first if it telescopes.