Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 SHOT Show Threads

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    Not excited about these - 150 lumens? IR is great it you need it, but they should have at least bumped it to 200-300 lumens.
    I think that would be a little too bright for indoor work.
    Have you ever tried to turn on one of these while its dark and your eyes are adjusted for it.
    You'll blind yourself.
    And if it's got IR, wouldn't that also assume you're using NV?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    I think that would be a little too bright for indoor work.
    Have you ever tried to turn on one of these while its dark and your eyes are adjusted for it.
    You'll blind yourself.
    And if it's got IR, wouldn't that also assume you're using NV?
    I see your point, but 150 lumens is far what I would call blinding. Adequate maybe...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I see your point, but 150 lumens is far what I would call blinding. Adequate maybe...
    Yeah, I see your point too. I'm not sure why they went down to 150 when the previous version had 170.
    Last edited by Clem; 01-18-13 at 08:09.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    Yeah, I see your point too. I'm not sure why they went down to 150 when the previous version had 170.
    Completely different head/diode setup. It is what it is. If you don't need IR, then there are plenty of other white light options with higher output. If you do need IR, then you either sacrifice the higher end lumen range for a dual output head like Surefire's or possibly go with a dual light setup.

FWIW, I've found that under 200 lumens to be best for indoor and over 200 best for outdoor. Not sure what is the best range for IR output...
    Last edited by Ironman8; 01-18-13 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Still no straight answer on the x400v-IR though... Probably the thing I was the most interested in.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Completely different head/diode setup. It is what it is. If you don't need IR, then there are plenty of other white light options with higher output. If you do need IR, then you either sacrifice the higher end lumen range for a dual output head like Surefire's or possibly go with a dual light setup.

FWIW, I've found that under 200 lumens to be best for indoor and over 200 best for outdoor. Not sure what is the best range for IR output...
    From my personal experience, I've actually found 100-120 lumens of flood to be more than adequate for indoors and 200+ lumens of a more concentrated beam good enough for most outdoor scenarios < 100 yds. That being said, a 500 lumen Fury, though mostly flood - would throw roughly as well as a properly tuned 200lumen with an optic due to the sheer output (though you will also most likely light up the surrounding area as well).

I am still at a loss as to why they couldn't have at least squeezed 200-320 lumens out of it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    whats the deal with the y300? Is that a pocket clip on a weaponlight?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    From my personal experience, I've actually found 100-120 lumens of flood to be more than adequate for indoors and 200+ lumens of a more concentrated beam good enough for most outdoor scenarios < 100 yds. That being said, a 500 lumen Fury, though mostly flood - would throw roughly as well as a properly tuned 200lumen with an optic due to the sheer output (though you will also most likely light up the surrounding area as well).

I am still at a loss as to why they couldn't have at least squeezed 200-320 lumens out of it.
    I agree with you. I used the under/over 200 lumens as a generalization. I didn't say it earlier, but I do prefer to carry over 200 lumens since I don't really know what situation I'll find myself in. You can tame the "too high lumen" issue with certain lighting techniques, so my theory is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

That's interesting about the Fury, never played with one. Might have to give it a try.

As far as the IR/White head lumen output, my guess is that the technology just isn't there yet to have super high outputs on either diode in one single head. Although, I'd hate to see the battery life if they do come out with one

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow50 View Post
    whats the deal with the y300? Is that a pocket clip on a weaponlight?

Methinks that is one that won't make it into production...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with you. I used the under/over 200 lumens as a generalization. I didn't say it earlier, but I do prefer to carry over 200 lumens since I don't really know what situation I'll find myself in. You can tame the "too high lumen" issue with certain lighting techniques, so my theory is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    You are wise.. wasn't disagreeing, just giving my opinion. Ideally, someone needs to make an optic for the XM-L LED that focuses some of that spill light, putting more lumens into the hotspot.

As far as the IR/White head lumen output, my guess is that the technology just isn't there yet to have super high outputs on either diode in one single head. Although, I'd hate to see the battery life if they do come out with one
    The technology is definitely there - no one is going to use IR and white light at the same time - so they just need to cram two LEDs into the reflector/optic, and use the same driver or a specialized dual driver. They should be able to get full output in both modes. My guess is that the IR LED can only be driven to 150 lumens, so to simplify the design, they used the same driver to power the white LED. Bad design in my opinion.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast