Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P10 .308 - SHOT news?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

S&W M&P10 .308 - SHOT news?

Anyone able to find the new .308 from S&W? Is it KAC or DPMS magazines?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 01-31-13 at 15:23. Reason: as requested by OP

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Price seems a little high?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    First, sorry about the title. Tapatalk did it, because I typed it correctly. I would appreciate if a Mod could fix it.

Second, MSRP is higher than you pay. The M&P-15 Sport is MSRP $839 and no one pays that (well, before the Great Panic). A 629 4" is $949, and up here they are about $805. So call it 85%. 85% of MSRP is $1470.

That includes the MOE stock and camo dip. I'm guessing about $1300-1350 if they did a plain black flattop.

You are getting ambi controls, which if you added a BAD lever, Norgon and safety would be at least $125.

Finally you get a 9310 UberHype bolt (or insert your own superlative) and 5R rifling. I am assured by gnat shooters that this makes a difference.

Just think of it as a $1200 rifle with mandatory ambi, stock, material and finish upgrades.

Feedback Score
    I think it may be priced fairly, if it functions properly. Around Armalite pricing: above DPMS and below Colt. I've heard nothing but good about S&W 5.56s, so I'd hope this is the same. I like the 18" and mid-gas. 5R 1:10 sounds great, but 4140 seems modest. Lack of threading and FH is unforgivable, as that adds another $125+. Not thrilled about the bolt-on railed GB, but such is life. S&W is VERY welcome to bring more 308s to the table.
    Last edited by carbinero; 01-15-13 at 22:36.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    I held the Smith .308s at SHOT show today and was quite pleased with them. There were two versions that I saw, neither of which were this camo one.

There was a Magpul version, with MOE stock, grip, and midlength handguard, with Troy Flip-up sights and Smith Flash hider. It looked like a .308 version of their MOE Mid rifle. There was also an Optics ready version, which had A2 style furniture, a flat top, and a railed gas block. The barrel is slim, like the MOE MID 5.56, which made the rifle feel less heavy than the Bushmaster .308.

With the quality Smith has been delivering recently, I think this is going to be a winner.
    Last edited by Redbeardsong; 01-15-13 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    The weight on the website look very reasonable...just over 8 lbs IIRC. The magpul version may very well get me off the fence. I've been thinking about all the sub-$2k semiauto308s for years. I nearly gave my wallet a heartattack when the Colt showed up. If the S&W is a solid $500 savings, AND if it has no major teething problems...
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    According to S&W spec page it will use PMags.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...2_v011113a.pdf

Feedback Score
    Why would they use 4140 when the new 5.56 gets 4150?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I heard the barrel is non-free float. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikele View Post
    I heard the barrel is non-free float. Thoughts?
    It's obviously non free float, unless they stuck a tube under the plastic handguards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    It is a cheap Airsoft quality Eotech half ass knockoff- I just had a student with one in a basic class about a month ago and it laid down faster than a cheap hooker

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast